APC Forum

Copper Chloride/Copper Oxychloride

cplmac

I came across an AP blue formula that calls for Copper Chloride, I was wondering if I could sub in Copper Oxychloride? The other ingredients are AP, Hexamine, Dextrin.

That will probably work all right!

I assume the formula called for copper(I) chloride, was the source by any chance some of Dr. Jennings-White's early creations?

Sure was. Jennings white AP#1&2. Thanks for the info!

If you wanted to try the original formula, I might be making some CuCl soon you could have. Alternative method "e" from Brauer vol 2 pp 1005 most likely if anyone is interested, although with KCl substituted.

e) A mixture consisting of 1 part of CuSO4*5 H2O, 2 parts of

NaCl and 1 part of Cu turnings is heated (use a Bunsen valve) with 10 parts of H2O until the color disappears completely. The mixture

is poured into water, and CuCl crystallizes out [M. Denige*s,

Comptes Rendus Hebd. Stances Acad. Sci. 108, 567 (1889)].

I assume that's 10 parts H2O by weight rather than volume? As dumb a question as it may seem, I've been confused by this in the past.

Yes, but with water, weight is the same as volume. The denisty is so close to zero at room temp, it can just be assumed to be 1. So 1mL of water weights 1g. Technically at 4C is when it's exactly 1,00 g/mL. at 20, it's probably around .997 g/mL or something very close.
  • Like 1