APC Forum

And some of us have trouble with charcoal....

rogeryermaw

We should take a class from this guy. We really make tlud too complicated.

Edited by rogeryermaw

This method of making charcoal is nearly identical to the one I saw featured on an episode of "how it's made". The show exhibited the use of coconut husks to make grilling charcoal in a mud brick TLUD.

I recall as a teen visiting colonial Williamsburg and seeing a blacksmith making charcoal in a trench covered with green branches and leaves then topped with dirt.

I can't say that any of these methods are easier than our retort cans or TLUD cooker but it sure does make a lot of charcoal at once if your willing to put in the hard work.

I was just impressed by how we agonize over the right materials, perfect surface area and count of air holes etc. He piles wood, packs mud around it, digs a few holes a go! Seems it worked quite well.

Now if only getting the rest of the supplies were as cheap and being self reliance as he is at making charcoal. Oh well............. :mellow: Pat

Oh Pat it is nice to know these teqniques but I feel fortunate to not need to use them. I'd like to try my hand at harvesting all the raw ingredients for BP from my surroundings at least once in my life.

I'm certain it wouldn't be as good as modern pure ingredients but it would be functional and give a sense of self reliance.

Oh Pat it is nice to know these teqniques but I feel fortunate to not need to use them. I'd like to try my hand at harvesting all the raw ingredients for BP from my surroundings at least once in my life.

I'm certain it wouldn't be as good as modern pure ingredients but it would be functional and give a sense of self reliance.

Do you happen to have a resident volcano or sulphur spring nearby? lol

Haha,no Patric last time I checked there are no volcanos in Pittsburgh. I do have a abandoned coal mine nearby with high sulfur content in the coal but have not yet found a way to extract it, nor do I want to go poking around a long abandoned mine. I'll keep my eyes open for other potential sources, we do have high sulfer content in our well water but I'm sure it would take an awful lot to produce a usable amount.

a more usable approach would be to calcine sulfur bearing minerals in a sealed retort. they are pretty much everywhere.