APC Forum

What do you do in your "Day Job"

stix

my day is going just great :( , wouldnt be so bad if we had the proper tools in the shop ( farm shop )

http://i.imgur.com/OniX0Wy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dWbQbgw.jpg

lots of broken piston rings in this motor

http://i.imgur.com/Ma47CdF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AjRhJzr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wbF4Bpo.jpg

soon as i go back after lunch i have to make a liner puller to pull the liners out

my boss really knows how to blow shit up , it also has a cracked piston in it, they would still be using the loader had i not told them its done with stop using it before i cant overhaul it

Edited by RiderX
  • Like 1

Lost some compression, did ya?

Camp Ripley Minnesota not Michigan. The chill factor was -98F. It was sometime in the 80's i think.

Lost some compression, did ya?

there was more blowby then compression lol , the odd part is it still ran good except for it pushing oil out the dipstick tube and breather.

the worst part about this whole deal is not having the right tools , i just spent 3 hours fabricating a Liner/sleeve puller so in all the hours of work today , i manged to pull 4 pistons and rods, get the rods cleaned and inspected , and new pistons put on the rods , and build a puller

Edited by RiderX

the good thing is that i talked my boss into an overhual instead of just patching the thing back together , my boss is a big fan of cheap and fast , he doesnt relize it costs more in the long run , and im getting tierd of working on the same stuff over and over again

Back in '87, I re-built the engine in my early 50's Ford 8N tractor. EVERYONE said "give it up and get a good tractor", but I was stubborn.

I did everything to the motor, bottom-up, and then rebuilt the hydraulics, rear axle bearings, front wheel bearings, water pump, ignition... <you get the picture>. Then, I couldn't put the thing back together without blasting it all clean and giving it a new (authentic) paint job, but with hardener in the enamel.

DANG! When I got done, I had a BRAND NEW Ford 8N!!! And the whole job cost me about $800. I mowed 10 acres once a week with that thing for ten years, and the new owner (when I moved) is still using it now, in 2017.

Lloyd

Camp Ripley Minnesota not Michigan. The chill factor was -98F. It was sometime in the 80's i think.

Whatcha mean MI and MN are not the same thing?

I was in a hurry.

Back in '87, I re-built the engine in my early 50's Ford 8N tractor. EVERYONE said "give it up and get a good tractor", but I was stubborn.

I did everything to the motor, bottom-up, and then rebuilt the hydraulics, rear axle bearings, front wheel bearings, water pump, ignition... <you get the picture>. Then, I couldn't put the thing back together without blasting it all clean and giving it a new (authentic) paint job, but with hardener in the enamel.

DANG! When I got done, I had a BRAND NEW Ford 8N!!! And the whole job cost me about $800. I mowed 10 acres once a week with that thing for ten years, and the new owner (when I moved) is still using it now, in 2017.

Lloyd

My last years project, and i painted it right there.

post-13371-0-48470300-1503496057_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Now i am working on this one.

post-13371-0-68695400-1503496222_thumb.jpg

Mike, the tractor is gorgeous!

The only 'non-stock' on mine was an external overrunning clutch on the PTO shaft, so I wouldn't accidentally run through walls when the mower was engaged. <grin>

Yea we all had them. We were more concerned with ditches.

I was in a hurry.

My last years project, and i painted it right there.

Nice job. I got me a John Deere model 50 from my neighbor to restore. It'll take a bit of time, needs clutch rebuild, and a small crack in No.1 cylinder/block and cosmetic/paint overhaul. It runs but clutch is wore out. I look forward to using it again to grade our road, have the manned adjustable grader blade, rake and pulverizer. Has the 3 point hookup and pto. Good ol' Johnny popper

I wished i had that 50. I'll trade you an 8n for it.

This was my project 2yrs. ago.

post-13371-0-28224200-1504182227_thumb.jpg

Edited by dynomike1

when ur sleeve puller doesnt have enough ass behind it u go redneck style

That is the right way. Use what ever tools you have on hand.

• 7 months later...

I do IT for a major regional hospital/clinic network's radiology department. Generally a clean job, though I occasionally have to wear scrubs/bunny suits to replace computers in the operating rooms.

My partner is a QA analyst for a small vending system company and helps me cook charcoal down here and build shells up north but really prefers watching to building fireworks.

I'm IT Manager at a local Amazon WH, nice to see another IT here :3

I'm IT Manager at a local Amazon WH, nice to see another IT here :3

There are a number of us running around here, heh.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I think my job might be slightly related to this hobby... I'm a blaster. I blast to make sewers, roads, ski slopes, name it.

• 2 weeks later...
For the last 23 years I have made tires literally 100s of thousands of tires chances are some of you are riding or have ridden on tires that I have made either general or continental tires

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thought I already had posted a reply here...

Anyway, I'm a inorganic chemist with a passion for fireworks since childhood. I was lucky enough to get my foot into the world of pyrotechnics directly after the university and started working as a pyrotechnic research end development engineer in 1995 for a producer of explosives and initiating systems.

After only one year I was head hunted to work as a pyrotechnist for a pyrotechnic company doing development and problem solving connected to fireworks (not any more), marine distress signals and military pyrotechnics.

Maybe it comes down to having an inquiring mind and a desire to create.

On the pyrotechnics side, one could say it's an artistic pursuit. Then others may argue it's all about chemistry, engineering, etc... and making rocket motors has it's own thrill. Nevertheless, when lighting something that you actually made yourself that produces a colour effect, or takes off with power, then... ooohhh pretty...

I haven't read on this thread from a person, that during their day job, they work for the internal revenue service (tax department) but in their spare time, they let it ripp and get into pyrotechnics on the weekends.

There is something that binds people with some sort of mind-set, whether it be your professional blaster or something else. Lawyers or Tax Accountants don't seem to be represented in this group. Not that they "shouldn't" be, but that was why I asked the question in the first place.

A sociological question it is. I like to think it's about creating something.

I'm retired. Travel alot and play alot. Love pyrotechnics. Got started back in the early/mid sixties when a person could get just about anything. Times sure changed over the years. With PA now allowing fireworks I'm having some make up time. But creating/making something that wows is much more fullfilling than buying something.

• 3 months later...

"But getting back to my question: So, what do you do as your "day job"? - that thing that earns you a living? and also, other interests?

I can't imagine, for instance, an Accountant spending their weekends making charcoal, or rolling tubes etc. - but who knows. I'd actually be quite impressed if accountants, or even more so, lawyers!!, get into this craft."

-------------------------------

Stix,

I know several 'clean job' professionals, and also several physicians (grin), who are heavily 'into' the pyro hobby, and they do it all, including the dirty work.

I've been making aerial pyro since the early 1960s, shooting shows since the late 60's. After some time off for military service, college, and having a family, I got back to it in the late 80s. From 1967 until 2000, I was also an electronics hardware design professional, first in the military, then in private life.

I was director of research for the USA's 2nd-largest vendor of computer billing systems to radiologists and pathologists from 1974 until 1998, when our company was bought-up and broken-up by a 'large computer corporation' desiring to remove us from the market.

In 1999, I became the corporate general manager for a large, well-known close-prox manufacturer, and stayed in that capacity for over ten years before retiring. I couldn't STAND being retired, so I'm now a site-licensed sole-proprietor who designs formulae, tooling, and processes and who does licensing and permitting work for pyro manufacturers and display companies, including my old bosses. I'm a licensed private pilot.

As you can see from the time-lines, there were times in my life where I was involved in multiple endeavors, all at once.

If I had my 'rathers', I'd do some R/C airplane building and flying in my 'spare time' (sailplanes being my love), but I also love to build pyro for fun... so I'm pretty 'immersed' in the art!

Lloy

This is really interesting knowledge!

• 2 months later...

At the moment I'm working on a small organic farm. However the owner died so the goats, cows and pigs are gone leaving me to tend chickens. The new owner, his daughter, is psychotic so I’m searching for a new job. Something that will put my knowledge of electronics to good use. I am also a writer desperately hoping to get a book out this year – a South-Western murder mystery – and if I can then I might just live by writing and pyro.

Fell the concussion, see the pretty sparks, smell the smoke!