APC Forum

Ground Bloom Flowers

Yus

Ground Bloom Flowers is a quite simple rotating fireworks. The best examples usually emits red, green and yellow flame.

What are compositions can be used for those colours?

Thank you.

youtu.be/clVrD92Lyzs

youtu.be/0nhd4p37PPk

youtu.be/VhGXbl8Mf2k

http://www.badaboomfireworkspa.com/images/691.jpg

I've been wanting to try using them as inserts in a 3"-4" canister shell. I think ill pick up a case when I get fuse from Starr. Its only $45-$50 for a case of around 1200-1400 pieces. Its worth a shot. If not the kids love em!

I tried them Chuck and had problems getting them to light unless I reworked the fuse. I had originally tried to nip and prime the existing visco as some had suggested but ended up yanking it out and buttering some BM after inserting it. Screwed the delay up but I've wanted to get some more and use quality visco as a delay. When they work? AWESOME!!

Nice! I never heard about them being used but the shape just seemed perfect, and I thought the effect would look, and sound, good in the air. Did using the black match just not allow them to spread far enough?

Yeah, the spread was wrong. I ran out before I could correct the problem. I bought some heavy American visco but by the time it arrived I'd cremated all my blooms!

It'll be a bit, but I got a few wholesale fireworks places around here. They all carry them, and are about the same price. When I get some financial thing straightened out ill grab a case and play around. Thanks for the tips!

Get the 5/8" or smaller ones because they burn longer than you think!

That was another concern I had. Im not sure what size they are. They're just called ground bloom flowers (generic). The do have ones with reports too, but are almost 3 times as expensive. Don't think its worth it for me right now

If there's 4 or more in a pack you should be good. I found the large ones are usually sold in packs of three. I don't think I'd try the report ones since they may make a round trip and cluster bombs have been outlawed at the Hague!

Yeah maybe later on the report ones. The ones Im looking at come in 6 packs. I figure ill just really launch the shell high, when the grass is wet, on the first shell and adjust from there.

I'd really like to try making some of the ground blooms for there intended purpose. I have concerns about using a gerb comp because they usually have a high MgAl content (17%). I don't want it to burn in half, so I'd expect that an organic comp would work better to prevent erosion. Light output would be less of a concern up close.

OM, how much erosion did the gerb comp suffer?

So? Use the Shimizu organic green/red (and combined, yellow) comps! They have no metals at all. I've made some darned-good gerbs, flares, and line-rockets with those comps.

Lloyd

It's funny you mention line rockets Lloyd, I need to pick your brain on those soon!

They're easy, Patrick. And they are REAL entertainers!

Lloyd

I'm going to get with you on this one later for sure. I don't think it's too ambitious but it's bumfuzzling me.

Ive thought of using ground bloom flowers as an insert in a shell for a while now. I also know they have something much smaller called "bees" that work in a very similar fashion, but unfortunately they are only a single color; usually green. I have yet to do it and am glad I read about the fusing problems before actually attempting it.

I've been wanting to try using them as inserts in a 3"-4" canister shell. I think ill pick up a case when I get fuse from Starr. Its only $45-$50 for a case of around 1200-1400 pieces. Its worth a shot. If not the kids love em!

If you are going to buy from Starr, get the Ground BOOM Flowers instead, they have the same colors and last the same time. They DO cost more but the heavy report at the end is very nice. Keep these away from kids!!! I use them in shells, little 2.5" ID canisters.

If Im gonna make the trip there dag I might get a case of each. Starr is pretty cheap. Thanks for the info.

What do you do for fusing them?

If they have decent visco you can just clip it short and prime it with NC/BP butter and dip in coarse meal. My problem was that the factory fuse was crappy and even primed it wouldn't light reliably.

I found a bundle of colored Jumping Jacks last night and I'm going to load them up in 1.75" plastic cans. Should be a mini version of the ground blooms!

If Im gonna make the trip there dag I might get a case of each. Starr is pretty cheap. Thanks for the info.

What do you do for fusing them?

Here is a picture of a shell I made last year, you can see the BP and the slurry on the side. (Twister Stix)

I clip off the fuse with an anvil cutters leaving about 1/4" of the visco in the insert, use an acid brush to apply a small amount of NC lacquer/BP slurry to the fuse and just around the fuse base then SHOVE the insert, fuse side down, into a pile or shallow cup/bowl of fine BP and hold it tight against the grains for a second to drive in the BP to the slurry.

I have yet to find an unlit insert on the ground using this method.

gallery_9798_35_201908.jpg

Edited by dagabu
  • Like 3

Thanks for all the advice guys! Ill definitely be trying this out when I get a chance.

Let us know how the jumping jack inserts go OM.

• 3 weeks later...

Simple question: do you guys charge the tube dry, and pressed, or do you 'dissolve' it in acetone, so this is bound with parlon, like a go getter comp?

@Neighbour: for lowering burnhole erosion with the mgal, try putting one drop sodium silicate into the hole and let it dry, it improves the burnhole duration dramatically.

Edited by Sulphurstan
  • Like 1

Most of us use the ready made consumer ground blooms. It's the lazy man's go-getter!

I've already tried jumping jacks, since I had a ton of them (my son used to love them when he was younger). I loaded them in a 1.75" can shell. They were kind of disappointing mainly because of the very short burn time on them.

Edited by MadMat
  • Like 1