APC Forum

Looking for ramrod/swab for a 1" bore thundermug

DaHaYn

I recently was surprised by my wife with a 100 cal thundermug for my birthday last week. And I have been searching for weeks now trying to find a ramrod/ swab combo and no longer have the necessary tools to make my own since moving from Hawaii. Is there anyone that can lead me in the right direction in helping me find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Found someone online that wanted to charge me over 130 bucks for this. There was a guy on Gunsamerica.com that used to custom make per your bore size for 13 bucks plus shipping but he's no longer a member of their website. Any help would be appreciated! Edited by DaHaYn

Your best luck is going to be searching eBay in the UK because we just don't make or use 4 bore shotguns any more.

Incidentally, I made all of my mops myself but you will need some annealed wire and good cotton yarn to make your own mops.

If you want just a bore brush, consider a plumbing brush for cleaning out pipes and fittings.

Swabs should be no issue. You can make ANY kind (and size) of swab from a slotted bore tip and enough rag. A 12-gauge swabbing tip should be adequate to get you up to that diameter -- with large-enough patches.

Lloyd

yep a 12ga. swab and a muzzleloader ramrod or fill with soap and cold water and flush out with more cold water.

12 ga. Swab slightly too small and it's going to be used like swans for cannons snuffing out embers between loads and shots. I did however find a paint roller that suits that very purpose. Now to find a 1" dowel to affix this to so I can have swab on one end and ramrod on the other.

That ought to be easy to find.

Yeah... I don't get it. One need not use a ready-made swab.

Just make you own from rag on a 12-bore cleaning tip. You can make them virtually any size, and if you use Terry Cloth, it will be darned-near as absorptive as a pre-made cotton-wool swab.

Lloyd

I was just looking around if there was something out there already made or ideas.

I also wanted something to look as good a quality as my mug Lloyd but thanks for the ideas and input everyone!!

Hopefully I can get it all out together soon.