APC Forum

Torpedo's

ns4life

Anyone have any experience making globe torpedos?

I have made the silver torpedos before but am interested in making some globe torpedos.

Any formulas or advice will be appreciated.

My advice is don't make them.

How long have you been making fireworks?

Just remember any torpedo mix is going to be very sensitive and very powerful. More dangerous than flash powder.

I have been making 1.4 and 1.3 for about 15 years now. I saw some torpedos on a trip to china and thought they would be a fun project.

Unless you are a licensed manufacturer, *AND* have had your products go through testing by the Federal Government, you have NEVER made 1.4 devices. By law they are *ALL* 1.3 items. This assumes you live in the US. If not, where DO you live? I may just move there if I can make any fireworks at ALL, and get a 1.4 designation for them (without jumping through even more hoops than we have here).

And if you *are* a manufacturer in the US, you'd know that torpedoes are illegal in any shape or form. They're the same as M-80's and their equivalents.

Yeah,

I am quite familiar with the regulations of the atfe. I posses an FEL and an FFL. You should be familiar with the fact that torpedo’s are only illegal if they enter the stream of commerce. For personal consumption, they are deemed an explosive and are not illegal to make, use or posses so long as you abide by the CRF

PS, bulk salutes are not banned from use by licesenes individuals.

Skylighter had a newsletter on silver nitrate torpedos. But I'm having trouble finding anything right now.

Edit: Jackpot! just found a tutorial HERE!

There's two pages and the second one has a formula. It says not to mix no more than 20g but I probably wouldn't make no more than 10g at a time. Do what the tutorial says and you should be ok. I also wouldn't hold the torpedo directly in your hand until you know exactly how sensitive the mixure is. Be safe.

Did you click on the link? It shows how to construct them and the formula :rolleyes: . It's not silver nitrate. It's a potassium chlorate and Antimony Sulfide one. If you did never mind.

Quite interesting that comp used in them is what i have been using as dark flash to break crosettes, i havnt found it to be too sensitive in mt tests, in fact i have only managed to ignite it by spark.

Thats odd, when I clicked the link it took me to the silver nitrate page. Must have had something screaw up with my book marks lol.

IIRC COPAE lists a formula for globe torpedoes that contains a chlorate, sulfur, aluminum, and antimony trisulfide. YIKES, not for me.

Yeah that is why I said in the begining not to mess with them. All the comps for torpedoes are too sensitive for me.

Mixing the composition wetted with EtOH, acetone or another compatible solvent will greatly reduce the risk on accidental ingnition.

After mixing, the composition is devided over the torpedo's and left to dry.

Not to worried about loosing it anyways. I have never had an accident and if things go wrong the blast sheild will keep my eyes safe and the gloves will keep my hands safe. Im not planing on making a large quantity at a time.

I am assuming it cant be worse then armstrongs. Patience and a steady hand should go far.

I can't even see myself using that stuff. I tried gathering some from those caps in the toy guns and about every other dot went off. It was also wet (to help peel from the paper) and it was still super sensitive.

I have gotten pretty good working with armstrongs. I use a mixture of acetone and water and mix it into a runny paste. Then I use an eye droper to make what ever I am trying to mold.

The key is keep everything very very very clean!

I'd rather not mess with the stuff.

I have gotten pretty good working with armstrongs. I use a mixture of acetone and water and mix it into a runny paste. Then I use an eye droper to make what ever I am trying to mold.

The key is keep everything very very very clean!

Just be careful not to get too comfortable with it. That is when accidents happen.

Quite interesting that comp used in them is what i have been using as dark flash to break crosettes, i havnt found it to be too sensitive in mt tests, in fact i have only managed to ignite it by spark.

Yes but these have a certain size fish tank gravel in them to aid in friction I'm assuming. I also am assuming the importance of the smaller size is because anything larger may cause friction issues from sheer weight or surface area alone.

Any thoughts on this?

The weight should not matter much, the few grams from somewhat larger stones will be much less than the force from hitting concrete.

I rather think much bigger than 1/8" and you only get 2-3 into the cup, which can't guarantee some comp will be hit between some gravel on impact.

Commercial fun snaps (5mm paper balls with twisted tails) have under 1mg of silver fulminate covered gravel of only 1-2mm size (never heard of nitrate, probably a typo since SF is made with it). This 1-2mm size is also for safety, as the gravel becomes missiles on explosion.

This fulminate is the only thing I found more sensitive than Armstrongs, unless you call nitrogen triiodide a fireworks comp! :P

• 1 month later...
I've heard of other forms of this being made using wet nitrogen triiodide. But I would be scared as hell to hold that stuff in my hand, wet or not.