APC Forum

Chlorine.

schonza

Hey there guys.

Yes, I'm new to the forums, and I've been playing around with a little bit of pyrotechnics with my mate. We're just experimenting with things to see what works and what doesn't. We're about to experiment with some pool chlorine(powered), and I would like to hear some suggestions on what will react with the chlorine, creating some sort of heat or gas, which in turn will create pressure inside the container which we are using.

Cheers guys.

Pool chlorine doesn't really have a place in pyrotechnics. It's pretty unstable when mixed with organic solvents and has a tendency to react when you don't want it to or are not expecting it.

While it's fun to experiment with, try any mixtures in small quantities and in the open. I've seen plastic soda bottle experiments pop when being shaken. Being covered with caustic material doesn't look like fun.

Sorry I don't know of any use either. If your looking for a chlorine donor for colored flames you need PVC, parlon, saran, or some other "chlorine donor".

i agree chloriine has little use in pyrotechnics although if you add rubbing alchol to it and put it in a bottle it will blow up. this is a really stupid idea and is in no way pyrotechnics. i suggest you find another chemical to mess with. a good one is potassium nitrate and sugar. (they make one hell of a smoke bomb)

• 2 months later...