APC Forum

Fellow pyro's in TN

Fotia

There are two others that haven't commented publicly. Two to four more I know from one aspect of pyro that may be interest. The consumer guys have been very quite with only one responding so far.

Brad is pretty smart, maybe he can decipher some of this stuff. I have done made my eyes cross trying to figure this stuff.

Boy, you don't log in for a week and dang, you miss quite a bit. I am ready to rock n roll! And boo, I might just bring all the monkeys...

Rofl, Greg so long as they can all write they can be record keepers and flier hander outers. Bring muzzles though or dirty socks for them just in case.

I have babbled a lot that has given you plenty to read. I've tried to share everything I think might be important from my experiences and research to try to get everyone to think and be aware of what might be discussed. We've well me and some others have piddled with the idea for to long it would be nice to see something happen this year or the first of next for a full blown club if we so choose as a group. I may have seemed to be pushing in a direction, but I can assure that isn't the case other than trying to see if we can make this a legal thing to maximize the amount of people who can participate. Once we proceed threw the first step if we make our selves known to the powers that be it needs to be full speed ahead at that point. Plus there is always the possibility they are following this thread. The powers have visited other forums I know for a fact even though it was before my pyro time.

I want the group to decide the path as it takes the group to make it work everyone needs a voice for it to be our club and not just a club to some.

I'm forcing myself not to try peering too far into the future and trying to keep it real. Once the first meet-up happens we'll have a better idea of everyone's intentions, desires and limitations and can take the next steps accordingly. I'm just happy we're stepping onto the path.

“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say”
J.R.R. Tolkien

That's a good option to take Patrick. Getting to optimistic can lead to disappointment for sure.

I just want people to be aware of as much as I think I can provide prior to gathering. Someone might know something I don't and contribute to the conversation along the way so I can learn more myself too. So that we can all do a little homework and have an idea of what we may face which ever path is chosen to take. I personally prefer to know what I'm getting into if I can. Me and you have had some phone discussions and met once so you know some of what I know or think I know which ever the case may be. Some of the interested parties have never made a post so they are either just watching in the back ground or are new to much of this just as we were not so very long ago.

If we don't know what to expect a little from different options to me it seems we'd not get far. Maybe I'm wrong? We've had a little intrest from some people with way more knowledge than I have about clubs so we will hopefully have some people to ask questions to. As you well know I have yet to find a licensed hobbiest in our state if we chose that path with a club and can do it there may be benefits to us as individuals from that.

Having a respected legal group to promote the furthering of the pyrotechnic arts in the region sounds like a wonderful thing over the Nannie state option of banning it if it has risks involved that so many new laws do. Being a legal recognized club is the only thing I'm hoping for as I think it would be pretty awesome, but it's not my choice alone to make.

We all enjoy the art or we would not be here discussing it. I'd like to be able to enjoy it closer to home a little more and maybe even more frequently.

• Like 1

Group build sessions are a big hope of mine. To be able to collaborate with someone on a project you've only read about is a great thing. Chris Bruce and Guitarzan have extended a welcome invitation to attend a session at their shop but it's at the far end of Georgia looking from here!

Those are awesome Patrick from the few I've been to. Classes at events are awesome too. That's why I wanna push the legal side. The more hands in the mix the more ya learn. There's a limit to how many people can gather before ya draw to much attention otherwise.

I'm just now starting to get back to trying to test some formulas after my sebatical of acquisitions. I still follow my rule if the mood isn't right I don't attempt anything. Greg witnessed that at MFF he was trying to get me to make another shell and I hit a hurdle I could not wrap my head around to overcome because my mind wasn't into it so I had to slide it to the side.

I'll always build that way for now. If I'm not 100 percent into building I won't build at that time. Once my experiance level changes that may change. I can almost make fuel mine eggs with my eyes closed since I've done enough of them to know what to expect from them and am aware of the variables.

• Like 1

I'm like you there Brad, I'll keep hammering at something until I'm comfortable that I've got it down pat. I like to plan my forays into untried areas as much as possible and try not to improvise but instead use tried and true techniques. Even the simple things I've done so far would have probably been improved by a face to face with another pyro-brained individual and some good old chewing the fat on them.

Hence the reason why I would like a local club that meets 2 or more times a year. You can tell me all day long how to do something & I'll probably get it most of the time, especially if it's on paper. But let me be hands-on & I'll have in down first time & be thinking of possible improvements or alternative ways while I'm at it.

Fotia, I'm just the opposite I'm a very slow learner from paper, but a pretty decent at figuring things out I think. I like the challenge of complex projects. My second ever shell and first ever solo shell was a meteor shell. The projects have to catch my eye these days to spark the intrest, but since I've rearranged my setup that's changing some with some crackle experiments even though I'm not a fan of the effect the formula development is interesting.
  • Like 1

Boo, you just experiment on the crackle and let me love it!

Lol, Patrick. It's been a learning curve for sure having to take on new processes in combination with an experimental functioning formula.

I have been hoping for a couple of years a club would form. These forums help a lot, but nothing like hands on. I am not a paper instruction doing person, but like you said show me and then i can do it.

If you are referring to https://www.pyroshows.com/ the company out of Laffollete, Tn l. If you Tennessee guys are interested in potentially working as a professional Pyrotechnician I would check them out about employment. I work for them down in Florida and honestly there is a decent number of people that they hire with ZERO experience in the fireworks industry. Its a pretty good company to work for as something part time and I know they do a lot more shows up there in the TN area.

Count me in ( west Tn.) We can gather at the river. I buy a lot of stuff from Pyro creations. Is Pyroshow still down there Paul

Aprentice, they are still the main show company in middle and east TN. They do the big Nashville show I do believe along with the majority of shoots in the middle and east regions and you are correct if someone is looking to get a TN shooters license they can probably hook ya up with some experiance once you've gone threw there class as each of the three discipline requires three shoots each to get a TN shooters license. If you're available around the fourth and can listen and follow direction you can almost join any pyro crew for a shoot.

I wasn't aware they had stretched into FL too. I knew they and another company here had both aquired companies in TX to compete against each other there as well maybe. I had heard Pyroshows was trying to push up into KY too.

I'm not extremely familiar with them though having never worked with them, but I know a few people who have. I have worked with one of the players in West TN though.

If you are referring to https://www.pyroshows.com/ the company out of Laffollete, Tn l. If you Tennessee guys are interested in potentially working as a professional Pyrotechnician I would check them out about employment. I work for them down in Florida and honestly there is a decent number of people that they hire with ZERO experience in the fireworks industry. Its a pretty good company to work for as something part time and I know they do a lot more shows up there in the TN area.

I noticed they have a seminar in April. Is this to help people obtain license? Maybe this would be something for us to look into.

It's a training class for those interested in working with them for the most part I believe. If the fella from FL or someone else can't answer for sure I can inquire to some fellas I know that use to work with them I believe. I'm not real familiar with their practices having never worked with them.

My understanding is that Mr. Hill was a supporter of the art in the past. It's also my understanding he had a hand in our restrictive laws. I think it would be a good move to contact him, but not at this stage till we decide the path we wanna take. By the feed back and intrest I've received we'll have input from most of the areas he is involved in with the exception of physical commercial manufacturing. I believe he has a manufacturing site as they come up on a google search from some past accidents. Which is not uncommon for a manufacturing facility.

I'd hope things go well when we meet and then maybe set some things in motion to contact him and the other company I have heard had a hand in our regulations. They'd be good friends to have as a club, but I've only met the owner of the other smaller company of the two.

Wazzup knoxvegas. Gonna join us miscreants?

Hell ya. I had a good chuckle for that one. I like it.

Funny Patrick. Just last night Inhad a conversation with a friend that suggest the Mid South MFers. I chuckled, but had to discount the idea as it implicates to much of one aspect of pyro. Not a bad nick name though, lol

If it were just Tennesseans, I'd say we name it the Volunteer Grand Divisions after the three grand divisions of the State but...

No, no, no! Nothing about the Vols. I vehemently protest. Can you tell I hate the TN Vols? :)