APC Forum

Fellow pyro's in TN

Fotia

Just got a P.M. from Shunt & he say's the date looks good, but he's not absolute sure & needs to check his work schedule.

May get another guy named Joe Boyer at fireworking if you know him, give him a shout as I know he would want in. I've sent him an email but no response. He is retired (lucky dog).

I sent Bradsn one just now. He is in Ill. but only 186 mi from Boo. I will probably bring my wife, maybe other women will be there, if not i will have to ride in the back of the truck coming back.

Fotia, neither of those names sound familiar to me, but with the list of forum names it's not uncommon. I wish we could schedule to work with everyone's schedule, but I suspect that would never happen. I don't know that I won't need to be at work on the 25th I'll just have to call out if it's the case. Not that I'd expect anyone else to do so. I'd hope as many that can would attend though.

Mike, maybe Greg could drop his team of monkeys off somewhere and bring is other half to keep ya out of the back of the truck, lol. Maybe Matt could come from IN and bring his wife as well. I forgot to get a wife somewhere along the line so I can't help out by bringing one ( before someone gets generous I don't need to borrow one to fit in ). That's how I afford the hobby it gets some of the funds she would have, lol.

I also forgot to mention i will probably stay up there that night. This may go quick and it may last a long time to get things worked out. Looks like we are getting a lot of interest on this.

Edited by dynomike1

Shunt a.k.a. Cherokee at fireworking.com.

Quote:That's how I afford the hobby it gets some of the funds she would have. Ditto & AMEN here as well.

There has been a woman from Ill. at the last 3 PGI conventions & from what I've seen, that's rare. I know 'cause I worked in Sales, not a perv.

I think if you post at fireworking.com you might get a few.

Mike, I thought of going up on Friday & kip somewhere 'til the morning.

Boo, just let us know where. Is there going to be a rental fee of some sort where you have planned?

Fotia, I'm researching possibilities of places now off of what I suspect turn out to be. My first thoughts are to try to find some conference room space which I'll get covered by a few of us that have been tossing the idea around for a while so as to not have to lean on those who I do not know personally to help out this round. The other option is to rent a space with food and beverage services and everyone cover their own tab.

I'm open to ideas and preferences here?? This is my first rodeo in this area so it's going to be a learn as I go process. I hope to just have everyone attend that would like to without the burden of any expenses. I'm just a working stiff and can only absorb so much of the cost or ask a few others to help. Which the cost isn't an issue till we get a ruff number figured out just yet. It'd be a bummer to incur the cost for twice as many than actually show up though since some places seem to be priced by estimated head count. I also realize life doesn't always play fair and some will have to miss out last minute as I've been that guy a time or two.

I'm also going to inquiry to a few work customers if one of them may have some conference room space I can get access to. If anyone has options in the area I'm open to hearing them for sure.

The way I have it figured we'll need a minimum of a few hours to meet and talk and get acquainted, then a serious sit down and discussion, and spit ball freely a little. This time frame to me empties snacks at the minimum and some beverages will be required.

For those that aren't members of Ned's. Lloyd Sponenburgh has mentioned the possiblity of attending should his schedule allow. I know some would like to meet Lloyd as it was a goal on my pyro bucket list once that I covered and we've become pretty good friends. Some may also find Lloyd an interesting carracter. I can tell ya from experiance if you haven't met Lloyd in person it's an honor he's one of the nicest and friendliest guys in Pyro I've had the honor of meeting and yes we butted heads a few times on the forums prior, lol. He'd be a very welcome guest in my opinion with his knowledge of the ATF and being a long term FPAG member he could very likely share some great insite with us.

I'd welcome any other club members or officers to attend as well should they be willing to offer insite. Many it seems are new to clubs of this sort and I'm no expert by any means.

The last club I was in where a bunch of guys liked to make things go boom was the Corps and I'm too old for the membership dues now!

Depending on the location and the head count we may could get a vendor or two to show up to just grab some supplies and share thoughts. Most of them attend various clubs and could share some more knowledge with those that have never been to a pyro event before.

I can inquire to a couple I know personally to see if they'd be willing to make the adventure. If there is any interest in that pursuit? Heck ya never know they might just find it interesting to see if we can pull this off.

Oh and Patrick pyro isn't an all boys club. There are some women who enjoy pyro too, ROFL

While not many they do exist and from a shell class I took with about 30+ non builders once they have a little better eye for detail and color than most of us guys.

We always need women, someone has to cook. LOL at least it keeps me from having to travel by myself. Look at Dave AKA Dagabu his whole family builds shells. Greg has definitely got a house full.

And BTW be thinking of what we can call our club. I only have 1 title in mind.

Tn. sky busters. just throwing something out there.

Mine is Southern Salutes

Try multi state pyro

Boo it seems your giving it your all. Since I stirred this pot, is there anything I can do to help? I'm contacting other clubs to ask for guidance thanks to Mumbles.

I've got the info packet from PGI I'll make copies of for others to read over. I've also started gathering the most current TN laws I can find which are 2016 and will watch to see if a 2017 update happens. There were some fairly major changes in 2016 over the prior stuff I had been reading threw in the past. If Lloyd comes up he can give us some guidance which I hope he can. I've spoken with Bill and he's gonna come up and he's got a little insite he can share based more on experiences in TN from a now disbanded group.

I think we could use all of the help and insite anyone is will to share. I think it would be awesome to have some other clubs officers show up and discuss things they deal with even now as established clubs.

What I'd like to see from all of this if we can pull it off is be a full blown legitimate club recognized by the state. Or even multiple states as it might be a disservice to our region to limit us to one state. I'm just thinking out loud here as this isn't my choice to make. What ever path we take will be up the group as a whole not any one individual.

A legitimate club requires incorporating, licensing, and insurance. Although that comes later down the road, but is worthy of mentioning right now so people have an idea that have never been a part of a club like this or attended a meeting at a legal club. I can gather some of what I have and email to anyone interested in reading it over if they'll inquire.

Really the only things right now are to gather information and people. Once we have a general idea of the head count the serious looking for a location can begin. We should maybe discuss that a little if the count stays low we may could do a private section of a eating place. If we can't get a private area where can easily hear each other speak I think we shift towards some kind of meeting place similar to a board room or something and bring food or have it catered a little. If someone wants to shop around for possibilities there I'm more than welcome to take suggestions. I found some easily last night but they didn't fit are needs real well. On nice space and price didn't have restrooms with it. I think we'll be at it long enough to need a restrooom break, lol.

Edited by Boophoenix

Can you send me what you have in a pdf?

Catering might not be a good idea as I don't think we will know exactly how many will show. And you are looking at the Nashville area correct?

Can you send me what you have in a pdf?

Catering might not be a good idea as I don't think we will know exactly how many will show. And you are looking at the Nashville area correct?

I'm working on that end of things. Once Brad gets an approximate count I'll start weeding out venues. Several State Parks offer very reasonable meeting spaces for different sized groups and it's the off season for corporate meetings in Mid-Tn so there are many options. I also do work at many hotels with meeting rooms that are always cutting deals with me for services. Took a date to the Ramada here and had a Jacuzzi in the room and an indoor pool in exchange for a tub faucet replacement!

As far as a club name that is going to be a little tricky to. It appears that it may be persons from more than one state involved in this, so we dont want to try to appear to look dominant with the name and insult anyone. I was just throwing stuff out there to get everyone thinking. Boo in the past we just find a restaurant that has a back room that they dont hardly use much till lunch time on Sunday, and talk to them about it. Most of the time they will be glad to work with you just for the sales. The legal stuff i am holding back on that at this moment because one thing after talking to Boo i have found it is different than the world that i have been working in. But if there is any way you think i can help right now, let me know.

I've considered all of the above and briefly searched around for options. I like the idea of a resteraunt if it will be quite enough for us to have a good conversation. I also think it needs to be secluded enough from the rest of their patrons that some terms we may use don't make other guests uncomfortable. I work with a large commercial development company in the area some and they may have a conference space they will loan me for a day as a favor n return for some I do for them.

For those who wanna get a jump on TN's actual laws googling the below should get ya there. From the link you can just search fireworks and step backwards to see all the stuff under Chapter 104 fireworks

https://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Tenn. Code Ann. § 68-104-101 (2016)

My personal preference is to have the ability to migrate a little to include other areas so long as we aren't infringing on another club's territory. I must say that I've not read any other state laws, but may have to before long. Reading them doesn't tell me much though I'm just a TN country boy who digs in the dirt for a living and not a lawyer or politician. I've spent years trying to decipher TN's for the time when I may could get all of the legalities covered.

Fotia, I'll send what I have no problem. I got your email it'll take me a minute probably to find it in past emails thought. Yes in the Nashville area or close. A couple of things I've looked for in a space currently plenty of parking for use which shoots most of the downtown high priced stuff pushing us outward some. I think it would be nice to find a board room type location with a large table so we could all sit at the same table for the discussion, but smaller tables could be moved. I found a couple but one didn't offer restrooms which seems bad!! Lol

I think we need to let the posts run for another week or two before we can gauge much intrest. The consumer guys haven't piped up at all and they were a larger pushing force than us previously unless they've made a step I'm not aware of. I'm having some issues with logging in there. If I had to guess currently I'd think maybe 30, but I've had some contact with some people I wasn't aware were interested. I also feel that a natural trend will likely happen as time nears if we are lucky about 3/4 of the people will be able to attend as life has a tendency to interfere with some schedules.

The key thing is we're gonna need is some key people to help as this grows if it does to help with some of the work load. I'm not capable of it all myself per time allowance and experiance doing something like this. It seems most clubs run by about 10 percent of the people putting fourth a majority of the effort and time. Keep this in mind it's not a stab at someone who just wants to be a part for the benefits a club could offer our area or region it's just a fact it's a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes. To do it properly it will take some financial contributions from us, sponsors, or very likely both that we can work out in the future.

We as builders are a little more complex of a group to service so I'm very glad we are getting the intrest we are. I think the consumer side could operate almost freely in TN, but we add a fair amount of additional work. Personally I enjoy this avenue a little more than just shooting consumer product, but I still do enjoy doing that too.

But all of the major details can be discussed when we meet up. I just wanted to toss some things out to think about prior so no one gets blindsided by what this might take to pull off.

I apologize if I babble a little to much. Little things come to mind I feel might be important to get people thinking about so they can do some research or try to figure out how they feel about prior to being thrown into the bus in Feb.

I'm contemplating asking an original founder of another club to attend if he can and would be willing too. That could be very insiteful. I don't know him very well but after insulting him last year we had some good laughs later about it. So maybe he would consider it.

Again if any other officers or past officers from other clubs would like to come and help us get our feet wet I think you'd be very welcomed guests. I would highly value any input they could provide.

I am definitely interested. I have been down to Mike's neck of the woods. TN would be the closest club to me, I am in Anna IL, the very southern tip of Illinois.

Brad, you'd be more than welcome. Stay tuned as we get closer I'll get us a location lined up to fit the possible turn out and we'll see what happens.

I'd hope in the mean time with all of my babbling in the two active threads on this subject I've gotten others pondering what they'd like to accomplish from trying to get together and form a group for the region. Just because I've shared my ideas doesn't mean they are correct nor the proper path. It's up to all of us who want this to shape it into what we want it to be.

This is also going to be a chance to meet like minded people within our region so we will spend a little time getting to know each other, but hopefully we can get a little of a path formed on how the group would like to proceed too.

So just out of curiosity, how many people from firework.com in are interested?