Pirotex

Really nice gold glitter. Inspired by Pirotex's Long Hanging Gold Glitter:

45 NaNO3

32 C (Southern Yellow Pine)

6 S

10 Aluminum (Alcoa 120)

7 Dextrin

optional 1% Boric Acid

Here's a little 1.75 cylinder. Mind the asymetric burst, that's just my bad shell design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uXnIFI63UY

More experiments to do, but as is this one will be one of my go-to orange glitters.

Edited by PhoenixRising

Mumbles, if you see this, would you mind merging this thread with the oringal thread by Pryotex?

I'm not sure this deserves its own thread as it's more a modification of an existing formula.

You could probably use the exact same ratio of the original formula and just sub Alcoa 120 for virtually the same effect as what I just shared.

My original intent was to create a sodium nitrate streamer with some gold metal sparks. I had no clue it would actually make a glitter.

There must be something different about the action of sodium, because I have a feeling the same formulation using potassium nitrate would not exhibit the same effect.

Earlier, we chalked the action up to the natural delay characteristics of coarse Mg/Al, but in this case Aluminum works nearly the same way.

Anywho, I thought this was at least worth sharing for the sake of discussion since I haven't seen anyone else try it yet.

Edited by PhoenixRising

I really don't understand how that glittered. I never would have guessed.

I was really surprised too. There must be a delayed thermite type reaction between Sodium and Aluminum.

Is the Sodium Nitrate breaking down into Sodium Oxide first? Perhaps Sodium Sulfate?

The flashes in the Alcoa version are silent unlike the original Mg/Al version, which has a nice sizzle to it.

Edited by PhoenixRising

I dont think its a goldschmidt reaction. I'm thinking its a reaction with atmospheric oxygen. If it was a sodium byproduct i would expectct the flashes to be gold, they appear white to me.

You have a keen eye, I was going to elaborate on the "whiteness" of the flashes.

The original formula has golden flashes, which normally Mg/Al flashes white on its own.

Before the Alcoa version was completely dry, the flashes were solid gold. As it dried more, little asymetric sparks of white stared to protrude from the flashes.

My theory is that, having finer particles, the 10 percent Alcoa has a much greater surface area than the coarse Mg/Al which the original specs, thus, there is not enough sulfur to properly coat all of the metal.

I'd think adding a touch more sulfur would bring a little more gold into the flashes. Only testing can tell though.

As is, the flashes are still mostly orange, and even adding 3 percent Titanium (40-200 spherical) yeilded bright orange sparks coupled in, so there is definite Sodium contamination.

Where's Dr. Shimizu when you need him.....

Edited by PhoenixRising

Hmm? I wonder if the final white flashes are the vestages of aluminum left over after that thin drossy layer of sulfer and sodium compounds burn off? They could just be tiny molted aluminum fireflys exposed to atmosphere after the other compounds burn off.

The effect is similar to the origional but not quite the same. The origional appeared to give multiple flashes from each drop of dross. I can't determine if that is happening with your version.

Instead of adding sulfer, i would try a different mesh size of aluminum to test your theorys. Coarser metal should decrease the glitter effect and help determine if the flashes are fireflys or molten balls of dross. A finer mesh should almost completely kill the glitter effect unless it is a drossy reaction.

One last idea, if it is drossy, i would expect that it could be produced by something added to the NaNO3 such as cabosil or MgCO3 to keep it free flowing during storage. It has been used in glitters before as a delay agent and is effective in tiny quantities. Only a change of suppliers would be able to make a determination if that is the case.

Well, I was hoping someone else would try the comp as written, without using boric acid, and note the results. For once I actually used Boric Acid.

Problem is my boric wasn't broken down and was very coarse. I tossed it in the mill with the other charcoal ingredients for 30 minutes, but I fear the coarse particles were not broken down enough. This could possibly be the source of the white "Flecks."

I think the argument of "what's a firefly, what's a glitter" is determined by particle shape and a lower sulfur content. Traditionally either granular or flake and contains no (normal) delay agents, FSFOY being the exception, again the Barium Carbonate only increases the delay and can be left out, still having a firefly effect albeit much shorter in duration. I'm not sure what you'd call the Alcoa version?.. a spherical firefly?

Using all coarse sperical Aluminum ('Breaking-Glass' Aluminum 30-80 mesh) should yeild all long hanging flashes, and it would have less surface area than finer, mixed Alcoa 120. Using a finer mesh might yeild a short tail similar to Buttered Popcorn or, like you said, kill the glitter altogether. My guess woud be anything finer than 325 mesh would be waste unless coupled with other meshes. Using 200 should still yeild some flashes, IME with other glitters.

I've never made a drossy glitter with all fine aluminum before, so it would be a weird test for me.

Personally I may opt to make it again, minus the boric acid, and sneak in about 3 percent more Sulfur. If I still get white flecks then I would change the aluminum.

The Alco 120 I'm using was given to me and I have no idea what source it came from. I could have sworn I saw a flake-shaped particle in there. Is it a "flitter glitter?" Time to break out the jeweler's loupe....

Edited by PhoenixRising

Okay, so the particles are very much spherical aluminum. What I thought was a flake must have been a fluke.

Regardless, I think the action you described is correct, in being that it's atmospheric oxygen causing the flash and not a thermite reaction. Being so silent I can't imagine it's a thermite.

Can spherical Aluminum be subbed in other "firefly" type comps?

Alcoa 120 is a blend of various mesh sizes. I screened mine once and found some particles sat on a 60mesh screen and even a few layed on a 40mesh. It is said to have particles down to and including -325mesh. The old skylighter site had it broken down yo percentages of each mesh size but i haven't checked to see if Mike kept that particular info available.

The boric acid can be dissolved into a solution and used as the solvent. It can be made into a saturated solution with the excess laying on the bottom of the bottle. Only about 1% at most will dissolve and it will work as intended to limit the oxidation of aluminum in the comp. As the stars dry, the acid will form crystals in the comp.

This formula is not somethong i can test until the winter months. Ive had many issues with much less hygroscopic comps recently due to humidity.

Edited by NeighborJ

Thanks for the info on Boric, I always wondered how much would disolve into solution and always avoided it for fear of complication.

I just re-read the entire thread. The big takeaways are:

1) Sodium contaminatiion is very visible.

2) Firefly effect can be achieved with spherical aluminum. Mumbles, you already eluded to this earlier in the thread but I think it was unclear whether flake or sphere was implied.

• 1 year later...

Hey, I actually made the glitter, but I didn't have any MgAl coarser than 250mesh, so I figured better 250mesh than nothing. The resulting stars in a 50mm cylinder shell are at @3:58 in the video. Those were 15mm pumped comets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfSH_sADlDc

Hey, I actually made the glitter, but I didn't have any MgAl coarser than 250mesh, so I figured better 250mesh than nothing. The resulting stars in a 50mm cylinder shell are at @3:58 in the video. Those were 15mm pumped comets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfSH_sADlDc

Not bad. For best results need coarse magnalium

• 3 years later...

Can this comp be rolled? Im planning to attempt to roll some in 6 hours but hopefully someone sees this and stops me before i see if it fails from rolling myself. 

8 hours ago, DecimusMaximus said:

Can this comp be rolled? Im planning to attempt to roll some in 6 hours but hopefully someone sees this and stops me before i see if it fails from rolling myself. 

It should work fine but as it uses sodium nitrate pumped( pressed ) Star with little water plus alcohol dry it faster.

You can roll small batch if humidity is less and store star in moistureproof bag to prevent NaNO3 to absorb moisture.

Edited by Zumber

Use PVB as binder + IPA/ethanol as solvent.
Rolls fine, although you get a little separation from the coarse MgAl