• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 justvisiting

justvisiting

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:18 PM

I don't have a lot of experience with phenolic resin, but the experience I have seems to indicate that's it's not very good for cut stars. It's true that the stars will dry as hard as rocks, yes. But cutting them is a nightmare! At least, it was for me. It was like trying to cut cake into little cubes. When I used phenolic resin to roll stars, they stayed soft for several weeks. When I dissolved phenolic resin in isopropyl alcohol and evaporated the solution on parchment paper, I was left with a soft pancake of resin that stayed soft for almost a year! This stuff does not seem to like to give up the alcohol very easily.

I think where phenolic resin really shines is with pumped stars, where the alcohol percentage is just enough to activate it as a binder, but not enough to allow it to form a skin.

#42 robbo

robbo

Pyromaniac

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 March 2021 - 06:51 PM

Shellac behaves the same way.  Too much alcohol in a shellac formula is difficult deal with.  The trick is to be patient (another concept with which I am familiar, but have little experience) and allow the binder to get gradually sticky. 

#43 redbullzuiper

redbullzuiper

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 04:07 PM

I don't have a lot of experience with phenolic resin, but the experience I have seems to indicate that's it's not very good for cut stars. It's true that the stars will dry as hard as rocks, yes. But cutting them is a nightmare! At least, it was for me. It was like trying to cut cake into little cubes. When I used phenolic resin to roll stars, they stayed soft for several weeks. When I dissolved phenolic resin in isopropyl alcohol and evaporated the solution on parchment paper, I was left with a soft pancake of resin that stayed soft for almost a year! This stuff does not seem to like to give up the alcohol very easily.

I think where phenolic resin really shines is with pumped stars, where the alcohol percentage is just enough to activate it as a binder, but not enough to allow it to form a skin.

Hm, pretty wierd. I almost exclusively use phenlic as binder in almost all formula's. I either replace the red gum with phenolic, or replace the dextrin.
I roll all my stars and they dry within 7 - 12 days. Rolling stars with phenolic resin makes star rolling so much easier.

Are you using a drying box perhaps? Drying the stars in a drying box with heat wont make them hard, instead it softens them. The best way I found to dry them is inside a drying box without hot air, just a fan blowing air through it. Maybe that speeds up the evaporation of  the alcohol, I dont know for sure, but for me it speeds up the drying time.

#44 justvisiting

justvisiting

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 19 October 2021 - 08:42 PM

I will admit to having limited star rolling experience. Perhaps I used too much alcohol when I rolled them. Eventually- after a few weeks- they did harden.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users