• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Bangkokpyro

Bangkokpyro

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:30 AM

That's standard construction in a bunch of European countries, but not here in the US. ;)

I think as long as people believe Fulcanelli is "the way to do it" they'll be afraid to open breaks of color with flash bags.

Beautiful results!

I would agree with that. As long as the stars/comets are 'protected' by putting them in an insert shell of some description there's no reason they should be blown to dust when the main shell is flash broken. I like the method shown in the video a lot, it's a fast construction method, no wet pasting or drying time.

Pyro Holidays In Thailand
http://www.bangkokpyro.com

#22 ExplosiveCoek

ExplosiveCoek

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:25 AM

So you put inserts in the bombettes? Those must have been very small then.

#23 Pyroboy

Pyroboy

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:41 AM

I would agree with that. As long as the stars/comets are 'protected' by putting them in an insert shell of some description there's no reason they should be blown to dust when the main shell is flash broken. I like the method shown in the video a lot, it's a fast construction method, no wet pasting or drying time.

I would say it also depends on what kind of flash you are using. I would never suggest to use straight 70/30 in flashbags. For smaller shells and inserts I find the following composition very useful:

50 Perchl.

25 MgAl (63µm, ~230mesh)

25 dark Al

It has enough power for a nice break, but is not to violent. It also burns really, really hot with all that metal in it and nearly lights any star without a prime.

For bigger shells I use:

50 KNO3

30 dark Al

20 S

+ 3% Mowital

+ 1% B(OH)3

The flash can be riced through a sieve or rolled on corn cobs/ rice hulls. Since it is a slow flash it just gives some extra power for the break compared to straight black powder.

So you put inserts in the bombettes? Those must have been very small then.

Well they are around 15mm. They are designed like those bird bangers, that can be shot from a gun. You take a 2" long paper tube and fill around 1/3 with BP + 5% Ti. Then flash is filled in the remaining space and the flash side is plugged. Instead of the stars six of these small "bombettes" can be used to build the stutatainserts.

pyroknall_styro_1603.jpg?crc=223067739

Edited by Pyroboy, 08 June 2018 - 09:44 AM.

#24 Ubehage

Ubehage

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:44 PM

For those who can't play the link, you can alternately get VLC Media Player.

It plays everything. And a little more. And it's free  :)

https://www.videolan.../vlc/index.html

Edited by Ubehage, 18 June 2018 - 06:47 PM.

Blowing shit up is not a goal in itself. Seeing your device working the way you intended, is the greatest satisfaction of all.

#25 Carbon796

Carbon796

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Vintage tube radios, Jet Boats, Custom painting.

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:41 PM

That's standard construction in a bunch of European countries, but not here in the US. ;)
I think as long as people believe Fulcanelli is "the way to do it" they'll be afraid to open breaks of color with flash bags.
Beautiful results!

To compare European manufacturing practices to US individual beginner amateur practice. Is like comparing apples to peanuts. Its not even comparable or realistic. Flash bag or forte nitro broken cylinder / canister shell construction was a common practice in the US. When the US had a fireworks manufacturing industry. See PT XI,pg.19,20,21. The US may have even been making flash boosted cylinder shells, before that practice was adopted in European countries.

The Fulcanelli articles are the bare bones discription/foundation for building cylinders shells that work. Of a type that would be common to genral purpose catalog list price shells. Not fancy or exhibition type shells. Most traditional made case formers in the US, have a recess for a flash bag. There's probably a reason for that.

If you don't belong to a pyrotechnics guild or a pyrotechnics based form. The fulcanelle articles are the way to do it. There is not a single better all inclusive source available. That instructs on how to begin, building BASIC cylinder shells.

You also know full well, that their are plenty of us, US based builders, that open breaks of color with flash bags, or are flash boosted. So who are are these people, that are supposedly afraid ?

#26 Ubehage

Ubehage

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:49 AM

There are people who aren't burdened by creativity or ability to think in new ways.

I'm not saying this as a bad thing. I've met my share of those people throughout time as well.

What they have learned, and what they know is working well, is the ONLY WAY to do stuff.

I think it's those people Wiley talk about.

Truth be told, though, I don't think I have met any of those people in pyro, yet.

• NeighborJ and kingkama like this

Blowing shit up is not a goal in itself. Seeing your device working the way you intended, is the greatest satisfaction of all.

#27 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:39 AM

I believe the free thinkers also dont want burdened buy the harassment of traditionalists so their ideas go unsaid.
  • Ubehage likes this

#28 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,373 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:42 PM

One of my favorite quotes is most commonly attributed to Isaac Newton.  "If I have seen farther it's by standing on the shoulders of giants".  Or at least some general approximation of that.  As a nerdy scientist I love experimentation and trying out new things.  That said, I hate stupid experimentation and stupid new things.  Not everything new, different, or novel is an improvement.  

I really believe that you should learn the traditional way, which usually uses the simplest components and simplest construction. Once you have a firm grasp on that, improvements and corrections should hopefully be reasonable and obvious.   I see too many people, not anyone particular, skip really under standing the basics.  Then blame their materials or make excuses when their shells fail.

P.S.  Flash broken shells are probably an american reinvigoration readopted by Italy and other countries.  They're really Americo-Italian shells.  

• Ubehage likes this
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users