APC Forum

5" Multibreak

Pyroboy

Hey guys,

I am working on multibreaks now for a while and got some pretty result I think :) .

Pyrobin: http://www.pyrobin.com/files/5%20multi.mov

The diamater of the Inserts is 30mm. The first break contains 9 inserts with three different delays. The second stage is gold glitter with violet stars and seven 30mm inserts with C8 and Ti stars and 2s delay.

Greets

• Like 2

did not play here either. Try YouTube.

Played for me, that's a great shell !

You should make more !

Nice! Good combo with the "The second stage is gold glitter with violet stars " , what compositions did you use? Especially like the glitter. Probably pumped stars, right?

That's a beautiful glitter in the 2nd break, and it looked like those inserts "popped" pretty nicely. No sound when I viewed it though. Very nice work!

Thanks for the feedback. I uploaded the video on vimeo. Hope everyone can watch it now!

The Glitter in the second stage was a 1:1 mixture of D1 and a modified Winokur 20. I always ballmill my D1 without the Al and mix it with the Al later.

The modified Wino20 was a failed Test I once had done. Instead of MgAl I used plain 65µm Al for that mixture. But with just aluminum it is burning far to long. I finally combined both of them 1:1 by weight and got that glitter :).

Edited by Pyroboy
  • Like 1

Excellent shell. I'm going to start on multi-breaks soon; I hope I can do as good!

• 1 year later...

Last year I made two more canister Shells and I would like to share the video with you guys.

Its a 6" stutata and a 5" with goldglitter.

Please let me know, what you think =).

• Like 1

that 5 inch glitter was great, what type of glitter ?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for answering late. Quite busy at the moment :/.

Since some are curious about the glitter. Its the same as mentioned some posts above. But I summed it up for you:

50.5 KNO3

17.5 S

10.5 C

9.5 Al

6.5 NaHCO3

2 Fe2O3

4 Dex

Its a simple 1:1 mixture of D1 and Winokur 20 using only Al as metal. I use 65 µm (about 210-50 mesh) Al that is normally used as filler for epoxy resin.

Sadly I did not make any pictures from the construction of the shells. But the 5" was quite standard in building. The outer comets are 16mm or around 1/2" pumped with 10% H2O/EtOH. In the center a flashbag containing 20g granulated flash (50 KNO3, 30 dark Al, 20 S + 2% mowital) was placed. The remaining space was filled with 10mm rolled purple stars with a bad flashcore an some coarse blackpowder. And for spiking I used two parallel strings of strong yarn.

For the construction of the stutata just watch Bangkok Pyros Video:

Instead of using pumped comets I used the small bombettes for effect.

Hope it helps a bit!

Edited by Pyroboy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That's standard construction in a bunch of European countries, but not here in the US. ;)

I think as long as people believe Fulcanelli is "the way to do it" they'll be afraid to open breaks of color with flash bags.

Beautiful results!

That's standard construction in a bunch of European countries, but not here in the US. ;)

I think as long as people believe Fulcanelli is "the way to do it" they'll be afraid to open breaks of color with flash bags.

Beautiful results!

I would agree with that. As long as the stars/comets are 'protected' by putting them in an insert shell of some description there's no reason they should be blown to dust when the main shell is flash broken. I like the method shown in the video a lot, it's a fast construction method, no wet pasting or drying time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would agree with that. As long as the stars/comets are 'protected' by putting them in an insert shell of some description there's no reason they should be blown to dust when the main shell is flash broken. I like the method shown in the video a lot, it's a fast construction method, no wet pasting or drying time.

I would say it also depends on what kind of flash you are using. I would never suggest to use straight 70/30 in flashbags. For smaller shells and inserts I find the following composition very useful:

50 Perchl.

25 MgAl (63µm, ~230mesh)

25 dark Al

It has enough power for a nice break, but is not to violent. It also burns really, really hot with all that metal in it and nearly lights any star without a prime.

For bigger shells I use:

50 KNO3

30 dark Al

20 S

+ 3% Mowital

+ 1% B(OH)3

The flash can be riced through a sieve or rolled on corn cobs/ rice hulls. Since it is a slow flash it just gives some extra power for the break compared to straight black powder.

So you put inserts in the bombettes? Those must have been very small then.

Well they are around 15mm. They are designed like those bird bangers, that can be shot from a gun. You take a 2" long paper tube and fill around 1/3 with BP + 5% Ti. Then flash is filled in the remaining space and the flash side is plugged. Instead of the stars six of these small "bombettes" can be used to build the stutatainserts.

http://www.zink-feuerwerk.com/images/pyroknall_styro_1603.jpg?crc=223067739

Edited by Pyroboy

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful results!

To compare European manufacturing practices to US individual beginner amateur practice. Is like comparing apples to peanuts. Its not even comparable or realistic. Flash bag or forte nitro broken cylinder / canister shell construction was a common practice in the US. When the US had a fireworks manufacturing industry. See PT XI,pg.19,20,21. The US may have even been making flash boosted cylinder shells, before that practice was adopted in European countries.

The Fulcanelli articles are the bare bones discription/foundation for building cylinders shells that work. Of a type that would be common to genral purpose catalog list price shells. Not fancy or exhibition type shells. Most traditional made case formers in the US, have a recess for a flash bag. There's probably a reason for that.

If you don't belong to a pyrotechnics guild or a pyrotechnics based form. The fulcanelle articles are the way to do it. There is not a single better all inclusive source available. That instructs on how to begin, building BASIC cylinder shells.

You also know full well, that their are plenty of us, US based builders, that open breaks of color with flash bags, or are flash boosted. So who are are these people, that are supposedly afraid ?