NeighborJ, you are reading it right, but it isn't right. The Acme has a 100kg load cell in it. The accuracy at very low weights is not so good. I found this out early on- not a complaint- and just weighed my motors before and after firing after that.
I'll honestly say though, I wasn't looking to have the hottest black powder- necessarily, per unit of weight. My goal was to see what power I could get from the rocket motors, made as we (or I) would usually make them. I customarily press my rockets to 9000psi, which is more than most folks do. However many scoops it takes, it takes. I
don't didn't weigh the motors. I will say, the different propellants weren't so different in texture and density. In the end I achieved my goal satisfactorily enough to call it a job 'done' and move on to other tests.
It's a continuous learning process for me. The Acme is a guide, for sure. These runs were early in my rocket experiments. I would never make my rockets this way for general use. To try to find out the reason(s) for CATO, I am trying to find out the reasons for no CATO. This could take a while
EDIT: here's the most powerful BP motor I've tested so far- NEPT tube (old):
Edited by DavidF, 08 September 2016 - 11:00 PM.