APC Forum

Lime Green Stars

OldMarine

After checking out Dagabu's recent pics of those awesome shells I am smitten with the lime green stars in a few of them. I've searched far and wide for a formula for this color and have come up empty handed. I have some nice purple stars I think would pair perfectly with this color. Any help here?

give this one a try:

Lime Green

16 Barium Nitrate
15 Potassium Perchlorate
3.5 Red Gum
7 Saran
5.5 Mgal
1 Airfloat charcoal
1 Cryolite
2.5 Dextrin

Jopetes formula

Lime Green

Green composition +2% cryolite or

sodium oxalate

Green

0.24 Potassium perchlorate

0.24 Barium nitrate

0.11 Barium carbonate

0.09 Red gum

0.12 Parlon

0.15 Magnalium, 230-mesh

0.04 Dextrin

0.99 Total

Merlin, that is the formula that a couple of other folks recommended so I think I'll try it. Mike Swisher recommended the oxalate which I have so I'm on it like a duck on a Junebug!

Both of those formulas should be good. I have done a lot of work on pastels in the past. I like cryolite as the yellow donor personally. I think it gives a more vibrant color than sodium oxalate. Lime is actually one of the hardest colors because sodium is such a strong donor. There is a fine line between green, chartreuse, lime, and going too yellow. I had to go to fractions of a percent to get it just right.

• Like 1

Mumbles, Did you see the pics Dag posted? I asked him if that was the color he saw and not just filmwork and he said it was. I WANT THAT GREEN!!!

Mike Swisher said that between 1%-2% sodium oxalate in a MgAl fueled star should work well. I'll try it and if it isn't satisfactory I'll order cryolite.

Edited by OldMarine

Are you talking about the boomtown photos? I think I saw a lime in one of the inner pistils about 2/3 the way down.

Are you talking about the boomtown photos? I think I saw a lime in one of the inner pistils about 2/3 the way down.

That's the one!

Every shade between green and red can be had by additive mixing of the two (if they're compatible). Try mixing a very tiny amount of compatible red with the compatible green and see if you can't nail it.

Several years ago, I was impressed with Tony Petro's miniature multi-break shells with color reports (that actually worked). He used compatible red, yellow and green flash compositions, and I asked him if he ever tried orange, and suggested something like 55% red mixed with 45% green as a starting point. He thanked me and we hung up. Five minutes later he called me back and simply said, "It works!".

See if a similar result can't be had for your lime green aspirations. Good Luck.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

I actually had written a bit about that earlier, but decided to remove it. I have never been successful in getting a lime I liked via additive mixing. I'm not saying that it cannot be done, but just that I was never successful with it. Maybe I'm just picky. I was given a lime formula earlier today that relies on this principle however. I'm eager to try it out.

I found the veline green to be some what lime green. Some might call it light green. It's more or less a washed out gen from the mgal. Might be worth taking a look at.

I found the veline green to be some what lime green. Some might call it light green. It's more or less a washed out gen from the mgal. Might be worth taking a look at.

If the color is washed out because of using a bit too much magnalium, try using less in the formula and see how it changes. I've seen blues and purples with lower amounts of MgAl that look very nice.

It's worth a try...

WSM B)

• Like 1

All the greens I saw in those pics looked like a normal green, looked great but the other stars made them look lime green. Is this the color you are looking for? It is Baclo3 and shellac with a dragons egg.

Edited by NeighborJ

Yup, that Lime Dag posted is what I'm looking for!

This is the first "star craving" I've had and it's mighty powerful.

Idk where people come up with these colors all the limes that grow on my tree at dark green :P. Unless you cut them open. But by that logic lemon yellow should be more white and grape people should also be white.

I've received several suggestions for the green-ish color I'm searching for but not enough cryolite to try them all now so I'm winnowing them down for those I can try this weekend. My first real experiments!

I've received several suggestions for the green-ish color I'm searching for but not enough cryolite to try them all now so I'm winnowing them down for those I can try this weekend. My first real experiments!

Good luck! Don't be put down if the first couple try's are not what you want. For me it is a blue that is deep and bright as ruby red or emerald green. Gonna try Mumbles pyro science. But I fear it's not possible without chlorate and I'm not going there. At least lime green is possible.

Good luck! Don't be put down if the first couple try's are not what you want. For me it is a blue that is deep and bright as ruby red or emerald green. Gonna try Mumbles pyro science. But I fear it's not possible without chlorate and I'm not going there. At least lime green is possible.

You could try paris green stars. (Copper arsenate). Beautiful blue best I've seen and safe to use. Just recommend wearing a respirator while rolling them.

Here is the Spanish lime from the Jopetes PDF. It is an awesome lime. You can pause the video on the lime color before the stars change to red to get a good idea of the hue and brightness of this color.

https://youtu.be/A670_WxPCuc?t=7s

Beautiful shell! Can you please share star information, such as layer thickness?

Edited by pyrokid

Both colors are from the Jopetes PDF. Red core is 8mm, core is primed with monocapa. The monocapa also acts as the relay. Then the lime layer brings the star up to 10mm, then primed with monocapa and then a final layer of bp+silicon. Monocapa layers are .5mm thick, and final bp prime layer is 1.5mm thick. Stars are sized to +/- .5mm.