APC Forum

bottom shot

memo

i always used saw dust to pack around a bottom shot, today I found myself with no saw dust. I have fairly fine planer shavings or rice hulls which one would work best ?

memo

Edited by memo

I'd use planer dust unless you have a way to grind the hulls a bit. The hulls will match the compactibility of sawdust.

I've never made a salute but I have tamped a load of loaded holes with chopped straw if we ran out of rock dust for tamping.

Larger mesh charcoal should do the trick also. Or like OM said the planer dust you may be able to bust it up a bit in a blender.

i guess i will o to the saw mill and get some dust from their bandsaw, just have to dry it for a while.

patrick are you a old rock driller ? thought you were a plumber. i spent a few years in a open pit mine drilling with a air track. then underground with a jack-leg

memo

Ah the good ol jack-leg aka tool of ignorance. Played that banjo for longer than I care to admit.

DaM

I wouldn't personally want to use either to be honest. I don't find rice hulls compressible enough, and my experience with planar shavings have been that they're also too springy. It'll depend on what you have though. One other alternative is dry sand. It works, but it can be heavy and sand gets everywhere depending on how you build the casing. It really is eye opening how many pin holes and crevices are produced by cutting flaps when folding down the casing vs. pleating whole.

The other option would be hand rolled bottom shots. They still are conservative on the amount of flash used, while requiring no packing and a nice thick robust based to the shell. This would be my best suggestion. There are several members here that'd be happy to help you get going on one.

i thought about sand and kitty litter they both a very heavy, going to the saw mill and get some saw dust i hope and dry it out in my dry box

memo