APC Forum

Visco & Ematch Fusing 1LB Core Burner Rockets

joeyz

what are your methods in visco & ematching fusing core burner rockets?

VISCO

- do you the insert the fuse all the way up the core? wouldnt this cause catos? logic tells me to fuse only the end as you do end burners or whistle rockets. i would think your just wasting fuse. logic tells me that a long fuse in core may increase impurities or structure blockage.

- do you use a peice a tissue to keep it place due to the large core diameter?

for now, i am sticking with inserting just an inch, hold in place by folding fuse in half or stuffing a piece of tissue and effort in lighting end of rocket only and ignore deep core.

EMATCH

- any experience using ematch, if so, do you place ematch at tip. i would think yes, you want the the bottom of core to light first. this how i been doing end burner rockets (hot glue or taping ematch to nozzle end), just like those commercial estes rocket motors from hobby lobby stores that have their own electric igniters. i replace those with my ematchs and use one of my cobra or fire one firing system to launch.

SEE PHOTO

post-20673-0-05548600-1472057674_thumb.jpg

what are your thoughts and experience on this topic?

-joe

Edited by joeyz

Begin by placing masking tape around your visco leaving only the end exposed and shove it as far up the core as possible. Quickmatch would be better,but go with what you have.

If you intend to use an E-match connect your match to the visco with a couple of strands of blackmatch in between (taped at either end) This will insure separation after ignition and don't worry about that match in the core, if your rocket doesn't need help it'll blow it right out.

ah okay. didnt think about black match strands from quick match. that would definately pass fire throughout core in a flash. i have tons of free quick match and i can save my expensive visco. In my pyro shows, i clip away all the quick match down to the very top of shells and ematch the cut end there. doing this keeps smoke, sparks, fires, debri down dramatically in all my shows. I love your idea of using black match (quick match without leader). how do you keep it from falling out? i assume you just make the black match double length and fold it over to form a wedge in core and that holds it in place. i also have quick match with black match ribbon that would wedge nicely. thank you for the reply.

ah okay. didnt think about black match strands from quick match. that would definately pass fire throughout core in a flash. i have tons of free quick match and i can save my expensive visco. In my pyro shows, i clip away all the quick match down to the very top of shells and ematch the cut end there. doing this keeps smoke, sparks, fires, debri down dramatically in all my shows. I love your idea of using black match (quick match without leader). how do you keep it from falling out? i assume you just make the black match double length and fold it over to form a wedge in core and that holds it in place. i also have quick match with black match ribbon that would wedge nicely. thank you for the reply.

Expensive? $20.00 for 500' isn't expensive. You REALLY need to come up to Fargo for PGI next year.

Yes, just expose a half inch of the black match and fold the paper over, shove the whole thing up the end to the top of the core. Oh... and yes, you certainly CAN CATO a rocket this way but if using whoosy BP, it makes for a much quicker burn!!

...for now, i am sticking with inserting just an inch, hold in place by folding fuse in half or stuffing a piece of tissue and effort in lighting end of rocket only and ignore deep core...

We call that J-hooking. No need for tissue, just tape the long end to the stick, you will be fine. When you bend the visco, just bend enough so as to get a 90°, it will have plenty of spring to hold itself to the walls of the grain.

thanks mate, and thats a great deal for visco i get basically the same deals from our supplier in china. i got rolls of slow burning fuse somewhere buried in the warehouse, i just can't find it. i may have gave them away a couple years ago to another pyro partner because we computer ematch every product. only ones i found was rolls of quick fuse, we use those time to time to bridge V mines, strobes, waterfalls, comets, meteors when we want to save cues on modules. but quick fuse not good for rockets, it would take off instantly as soon as you touch the fuse with lighter. some of my cases of display shells are Y fused, double options (1 visco 5 sec manual port and 1 electronic ematch port). i will just have to go through our barrels of cut ematch piles before our next burn and pull visco from there until i order some visco next pyro shipment. another option would be me going over to canonfuse.com and get a temp stock. if someone has a good site reasonable price on visco, would love to know. its just an immediate fix until i do my next product inventory and order from china. last question, what size visco do you guys use for rockets? there are many different types (thickness and speeds).