#21 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:51 AM

Wow, Roger this nc bm method is awesome. I saw this last night and just had to try it. It will be the only way I will make it from now on. Works great and it has given me a few other ideas. After making the match I then took a few rubber stars and threw them into the bm slurry and let them dissolve. I pulled some of the match thru this slurry and it made a nice slow fuse. It burns at 30 sec a ft, is rigid and the mgal and perc creates a nice hiss with plenty of side spit. I think I will use this for my rocket fuses and save my visco for other things. I will do some more consistency testing but I'm happy with it.
  • rogeryermaw likes this

#22 Tim1877

Tim1877

Pyromaniac

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors,splitting the night sky,the smell of burnt gunpowder

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:30 PM

so i threw together a couple pieces of q.m. with nitro. the black match used is almost a year old. i started experimenting with it a couple months before last new year. i'm sure it can be optimized. i was just worried i didn't have enough match for my purposes at the time so decided to give this a try. after lining the wet string out to dry, this stuff can be used in about 30 minutes or so. certainly burns fast enough for me to use.

it was all spur of the moment so i don't have official measurements but with n.c. lacquer about the viscocity of a 5 weight synthetic oil and roughly equal portion of black powder by volume to produce a slurry a touch thicker than corn syrup, is what i used. too thick and it wont get into the fibers of the string very well.

So how do you thin your lacquer to proper consistency I was thinking just add small amounts of acetone till its right.

Tim

#23 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 10:47 PM

Tim when I made the nc bm I mixed it in a 1pt mason jar. 3/4" of thick nc, 1 full cup of hot mill dust bp(no other binders)and topped it off with acetone until I had a workable slurry. It is far more runny then the normal slurry and would settle to the bottom. I had to give the slurry cup a stir every so often to keep it suspended. It was dry to the touch before I could loop it on the rack so there is no real need to keep the strands separate. I could also tie it in a knot without any comp flaking off. I love it and will not need to wait weeks for the match to dry. I ran it thru the cup a second time to catch a few spots which were pulled with an empty cup. It will burn on its own in open air at a steady rate, and it's still lightning fast in a tube.

Edited by NeighborJ, 26 August 2016 - 10:59 PM.

• Tim1877 likes this

#24 Tim1877

Tim1877

Pyromaniac

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors,splitting the night sky,the smell of burnt gunpowder

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

Tim when I made the nc bm I mixed it in a 1pt mason jar. 3/4" of thick nc, 1 full cup of hot mill dust bp(no other binders)and topped it off with acetone until I had a workable slurry. It is far more runny then the normal slurry and would settle to the bottom. I had to give the slurry cup a stir every so often to keep it suspended. It was dry to the touch before I could loop it on the rack so there is no real need to keep the strands separate. I could also tie it in a knot without any comp flaking off. I love it and will not need to wait weeks for the match to dry. I ran it thru the cup a second time to catch a few spots which were pulled with an empty cup. It will burn on its own in open air at a steady rate, and it's still lightning fast in a tube.

Thanks this is how I'm going to make my next batch of BM. Just one other question I know the string has to be 100% cotton but what kind is the best to use?

Tim

#25 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:14 PM

The string I use is the cheapest cotton string available, the more ragged the better. It tends to grab comp much better than the high quality stuff I use for spiking.
The label said #9x250' 3# working load.

#26 Steva555

Steva555

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:36 PM

Much more you make, much more you know and learn! But If you want to skip that you can watch this video it helped me make my own black match.

#27 BetICouldMake1

BetICouldMake1

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:36 PM

Your video calls for 10% dextrin. You only need about 3-5%, any more than that can make your match hygroscopic. I know from past experience.

#28 dagabu

dagabu

Grandmaster

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,736 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

Yeah, they are cute videos but miss the mark in a lot of ways. Match that thick means a LOT of flaming debris. The overall idea is solid, the music is annoying though. 

Dave

PGI Member http://www.pgi.org
IPA Member http://www.iowapyro.com

"The art of fire is indeed the supreme art; for fire is at once the universal slave, the universal master."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black match

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users