APC Forum

Hottest compound (for igniting thermite)

dbooksta

Neighbor. Thanks for sharing this. I've one question: this silicon he's talking about, what is it? In Europe here we have mostly the acetic smell silicons... i doubt, that s the one used in here...

I know there are other kinds, is there a typical brand for the one to be used here?

That's what you want, the acetic smelling caulk for windows snd such. I've not made that ignitor comp.

Yes the acetic smelling one. Should say something like 100% silicone on it. If that does not work let me know as there are a few other things you can do to improve ignition.

I wonder if another oxider(s) can be used instead of 'mangenate? I see no reason a blend of nitrate and perchlorate should'nt give easy ignition with good temps.

A 50/50 blend would be a good place to start; adjusting with more nitrate for ease of ignition or more perchlorate for better heat, whichever is needed more.

Then again this may not work, just a suggestion to maybe stay away from the purple stuff altogether.

If you wanted to get real fancy, you could make step-primed sticks instead, with a nitrate-heavy comp to start and perc-heavy comp to finish.

I would make 2 patties, 1 being nitrate and the other perc, overlap about 1/3 of them together, then slice the strips. Hopefully you get 1/3 nitrate, 1/3 blend, and 1/3 perc.

Just food for thought if nothing else.

Edited by PhoenixRising

Maybe i could stuff both of your suggested patties into a large syringe equally and push them out together into a small strand of new fuse. Patent that good idea Phoenix.