After about a 6 year hiatus from building, I got a chance to manufacture and put up a couple of shells at PGI this last week. Special thanks to Wonderboy for giving me a place to crash, showing me multibreak rinfasciature, being a build partner, and firing these shells so I could tape them. Also special thanks to Psyco_1322 for the supplies.
The single break is a 4" shell with comets and a purple and turquoise inner petal. I'm not sure if the inner petal lit. I couldn't tell on video if they lit or the comets just covered them up. These were Hardt #2 silver comets. I was trying out a different method of bursting I saw Mitch Piatt demonstrate earlier in the week. The flash bag contained 8.5g of 2:1:1 KNO3:S:Al. This was made with the normal rinfasciature method of spiking the shell, wrapping with 4 turns of paper, and then spiking again and finished as normal and lifted with fuse powder.
The thee break is also a 4" shell. They were breaks of ca. 1/2" purple, red, and turquoise stars. The red looks kind of orange on video though. They were burst with a mix of forte nitro and polverone in a 1.25" cannule. I assembled them with a modified rinfasciature multibreak method. Each shell was filled as normal with a drumhead or piece of tape over the hole in the bottom of each shell. They were then spiked individually with double strands of 12ply cotton/poly string soaked in wheat paste/carpenters glue. The drumheads were pierced, fuses crossmatched, and the 2nd and 3rd were then spiked together with 8 verticals and a thick band of horizontals at the joint of the same string. The 1st break was then spiked on top. The whole shell was then wrapped in 4 turns of 60lb paper, and then spiked again with 16 verticals, suitable horizontals, and another small band at the joints. The shell was then finished as normal and lifted with fuse powder.
Clearly I got a little excited about that triple break . The shell blew the gun and lifted low. They are transitioning to all HDPE at PGI. That includes competition guns and B-line guns. I disagree with this, and the video is proof of why. When you repeatedly fire from HDPE it gets soft, distorted, and damaged. The three break weighed 5lbs, and was too much for the weakened gun to handle. It tore the base of the mortar in several places, and resulted in a low lift. I was going to try to retrieve my trophy and replace it, but couldn't find a replacement and the weather prevented getting out there.