APC Forum

1lb Rockets Failing - I Need Help

joeyz

Don't worry, it was meant as a pun. I save the smalls from screen granulated BP for use as rocket fuel, it does flow nice and handles well.

• 3 years later...

I have and love using the 1# Super BP Core burn tool kit for the past 2 years. I use milled bp the charcoal is from pine and oak pallets then granulated with no binder and without any clay. Rammed with a heavy mallet. They work excellent! With a 4' stick of bamboo about 3/8" diameter (Garden Section) We get 3 and 4 inch ball shells to serious altitudes and only about 5-7% or so CATO . The tool kit says it can make whistles too. I just tried pressing some whistles with a 3 ton Dake arbor press (the factory states 36 to 1 ratio) I know im hanging 120# or more on the handle. I also read that the square inch is ,44 or about, It is even less because of the core. 120# X 36=4320. 4320 \.44= 9800 PSI but just CATO 3 for 3 :o the​ same tubes. The company also has a Whistle kit with a much smaller spindle, I thought the first wasnt pressed enough. The second rocket was pressed with more Dwell time and and extra weight the 3rd rocket was slowed down a bit with extra vaseline? Would you construct number 4 with more vaseline or a shorter spindle?

Thank you in advance

Which whistle mix are you using? Some are a bit more tame than others. Also, did the tooling come with any formulas or instructions for whistle? I'm not overly familiar with the tooling on a personal level.

70 potassium Perchlorate and 30 sodium benzoate +5 vaseline. Using the Black Super BP core burner kit from Amazon. Its been awhile but I don't remember getting instructions. I came across some more formulas that I will have to do some conversions to make the proportions of this batch match them however after finding a simple way to make shorter spindles I was going to give that a shot first. Thanks Edited by JAX7030