APC Forum

IBP motor propellant

NeighborJ

Seymour

I've also been curious about the alternative nozzle mixes and I know there are formulas here in the forum. The last one I can remember used bentonite grog graphite and wax which is all but baked out before pressing. It would be nice if these formulas could be posted in our formulary database. I've seen a few others which work even better but they sounded rather difficult to make and the people using them didn't seem to agree on the best way of preparing them. Their methods varied greatly.

I agree, It would be good to have some sort of 'sticky' in the Rocketry section regarding nozzle mixes. Yes, there are threads already on here but it would be very useful to "pull" the resources together. - Perhaps have a vetted and proven top 5?.

Thanks Dan. And happy birthday! Yes, I have made black powder rockets with over 100 pounds of peak thrust- just to prove it could be done. I've always wondered about making perchlorate-based propellant with charcoal as the fuel. Never did it though.

That broomstick rocket was nice!

I've played around with H3 as a rocket fuel. All I can say about that is, there is a reason it isn't used. Aside from the extra cost of chems. The thing about h3 is that it burns well under pressure but slow at atmosphere. I'm optimistic that it could be used but it is a tough nut to crack. I've had successful motors with it but a lot of energy is wasted roasting the launcher waiting for pressure to build then whoosh it's gone. So the only way I've been able to make this work is to augment an increment of bp at the top of the spindle. I'm curious if a catalyst exists which can be used in order to boost the initial atmospheric burn speed?

This first clip is a motor of just h3 and the second clip is the bp augmented.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get why people think they're underpowered... Those rockets (the way I make them) get the best reaction out of people over any other rocket I've ever seen. They're loud, and fast as a lightning bolt, and fly in a straight line. They'll go over a mile too if you fill the delay with whistle, and they're still going straight up.

People at MAPAG used to joke about calling the FAA.

They're not really a good "effect" rocket since they're gone before you can even focus your vision. I think methods in construction can make them vary widely. They never worked well for me in 3/4 inch ID, even when made the same way. They were lame actually.

What's really neat is how they sit on the rack for a second with an extremely bright exhaust...

Fun stuff. They'll put a smile on anyone's face. :)

[Video]

jesus almighty christ, thats fast! is there a tutorial on this one?

nevermind, i better stick to mastering basic fuel first. LOL

Edited by joeyz