APC Forum

Pill box star comps

Merlin

I have only found 3 or 4 formulas that are designated pill box. Lancaster has one that doesn't require bright flake al ( that stuff is almost as nasty as lampblack) Does anyone know of a source for pill box formulas? Thanks

The stuff I have is bright flake aluminum but it is clumpy and "greasy" like. If you get it on the floor a microgram will smear for a 1000 square feet. It doesn't behave at all like other grades of aluminum. Best I can describe it. Got a "deal" on it- I think from skylighter- 5 lbs.

Oh god. I know exactly what kind of aluminum you are talking about, I hate that stuff and would prefer to work with lampblack any day. I would say clumpy and greasy/oily feeling is the best way to describe it, it is more of a paste than granular/sandy like titanium.

I was able to find the following. For the most part they are all pretty similar, using similar oxidizers and fuels in roughly 7:3 or 6:4; it shouldn't be hard to adapt the formulas or change them slightly to produce different colors, I will leave that as an 'exercise for the reader'. I would be wary of the Allen formulas. In my personal opinion pillbox stars are a construction method, not a chemical method if that makes sense, most star/comet/crossette/go-getter formulas should work, but then again what the hell do I know. Remember the burning surface / ignition surface is much smaller, prime well.

Lancaster's Amber Pillbox Star, Page 92

60...Potassium Chlorate
26...Sodium Oxalate
14...Shellac

Lancaster's Blue Pillbox Star, Page 92

39...Potassium Chlorate

29...Ammonium Perchlorate

14...Copper Carbonate, Basic

14...Red Gum

04...Dextrin

Lancaster's Blue Pillbox Star, Page 92

70...Potassium Chlorate

20...Paris Green

10...Shellac, 60 Mesh

Lancaster's Green-Silver Pillbox Star, Page 92

25...Barium Chlorate

25...Barium Nitrate

19...Aluminum, Bright

13...Potassium Chlorate

07...Red Gum

05...Dextrin

04...Barium Carbonate

02...Charcoal, 150 Mesh

Lancaster's Red Pillbox Star, Page 92

64...Potassium Chlorate

19...Strontium Carbonate

13...Red Gum

04...Dextrin

Lancaster's Red-Silver Pillbox Star, Page 92

70...Potassium Perchlorate

12...Strontium Carbonate

06...Red Gum

06...Aluminum, Bright

06...Aluminum, Flitter 30-80 Mesh

Lancaster's Silver Pillbox Star #1, Page 92

55...Barium Nitrate

21...Aluminum, Dark Pyro

13...Potassium Nitrate

06...Dextrin

04...Sulfur

01...Boric Acid

Lancaster's Silver Pillbox Star #2, Page 92

64...Potassium Perchlorate

14...Aluminum, Bright

14...Aluminum, Flitter 30-80 Mesh

08...Shellac, 60 Mesh

Lancaster's Silver Pillbox Star #3, Page 92

64...Potassium Perchlorate

24...Aluminum, Bright

04...Aluminum, Dark Pyro

08...Shellac, 60 Mesh

Electric Pink-Silver Pillbox Star, Best of AFN I

68...Potassium Perchlorate

14...Strontium Carbonate

06...Red Gum

04...Aluminum, Bright

03...Aluminum, Fine Flake

03...Aluminum, Coarse Flake

02...Strontium Nitrate

02...Dextrin

Allen's Crimson Box Star

50...Potassium Chlorate

50...Strontium Nitrate

05...Charcoal

Ad lib...Linseed Oil

Allen's Red Box Star #1

26...Potassium Perchlorate

16...Strontium Nitrate

10...Red Gum

03...Potassium Chlorate

02...Dextrin

01...Stearin

01...Rosin

Allen's Red Box Star #2

26...Potassium Perchlorate

16...Strontium Nitrate

10...Red Gum

04...Charcoal, Airfloat

03...Potassium Chlorate

02...Stearin

01...Rosin

Allen's Red Box Star #3

692...Potassium Perchlorate

148...Strontium Carbonate

099...Red Gum

049...Dextrin

012...Charcoal, Airfloat

Allen's Red Box Star #4

36...Potassium Chlorate

12...Strontium Carbonate

04...Red Gum

01...Charcoal, Airfloat

01...Dextrin

Allen's Red Box Star #5

40...Potassium Chlorate

08...Strontium Carbonate

08...Red Gum

01...Dextrin

Allen's Red Box Star #6

05...Potassium Perchlorate

02...Strontium Carbonate

02...Aluminum

01...Shellac

Allen's Red Box Star #7

64...Potassium Chlorate

08...Strontium Carbonate

08...Red Gum

01...Dextrin

Allen's Red Box Star #8

40...Potassium Chlorate

16...Strontium Carbonate

08...Red Gum

01...Dextrin

Allen's Red Box Star #9

44...Potassium Chlorate

33...Strontium Nitrate

11...Red Gum

04...Stearin

03...Dextrin

Allen's Red Box Star #10

20...Potassium Perchlorate

16...Strontium Nitrate

06...Red Gum

04...Sulfur

02...Dextrin

01...Charcoal

Allen's Red Box Star #11

04...Potassium Chlorate

03...Strontium Carbonate

02...Shellac

Allen's Red Box Star #12

75...Strontium Nitrate

25...Potassium Chlorate

12...Linseed Oil

05...Charcoal

05...Shellac

Allen's Red Electric Box Star #1

64...Strontium Nitrate

17...Aluminum, Bright

08...Aluminum, Coarse Flake

08...Red Gum

Allen's Red Electric Box Star #2

65...Strontium Nitrate

45...Aluminum

32...Potassium Nitrate

13...Linseed Oil

05...Charcoal

04...Calomel

Allen's Red with Silver Tail Box Star

128...Strontium Nitrate

032...Potassium Chlorate

020...Red Gum

007...Aluminum, Flake

006...Aluminum, Atomized

006...Aluminum

Allen Hitt's Red Box Star

52...Potassium Perchlorate

09...Strontium Carbonate

07...Rosin

04...Charcoal

04...TNT

04...Dextrin

Allen's Green Parachute Pot

06...Potassium Chlorate

02...Barium Chlorate

01...Red Gum

Weingart's Green Box Star, Page 133

16...Potassium Chlorate

12...Barium Nitrate

04...Shellac

01...Dextrin

Weingart's Red Box Star, Page 133

12...Strontium Nitrate

12...Potassium Chlorate

04...Shellac

01...Dextrin

Thanks Azo. That's a lot of info- think I will save it to my Dropbox. Glad I found someone familiar with the aluminum I refer to- it came up in another post as well. I can't imagine squeezing into the pillbox tube with bare fingers unless one is auditioning for the roll of "tin man" in the next wizard of oz production.

I am chicken when it comes to chlorates but it sounds like most "normal" star formulas can be used. I want to try a couple shells with pillbox as I am always looking for bright stars. I don't see why you couldn't use ferrotitanium or sponge or atomized aluminum instead of bright flake

Again thanks.

No problem, it's what I do :)

Funnily enough the original Wiz of Oz tin man ended up with serious health issues due to the 'aluminum paint' they used:

MGM tested several types of costumes and makeup to make the Tin Man appear silvery. They tried covering Ebsen with tin, silvery paper, and silver cloth-covered cardboard. Finally they decided to go with white face paint coated with aluminum dust.

Nine days into filming, Ebsen started to experience shortness of breath and cramping that sent him to the hospital. At one point his lungs failed. He remained hospitalized for two weeks, during which time the film's producer hired actor Jake Haley to play the Tin Man. Haley's makeup was reformulated into a paste that was painted on. He missed four days of filming when the makeup caused an eye infection, but he did not suffer any permanent damage and did not lose his job.

That stuff always smells like movie theater buttered popcorn when I open the bag, a full respirator is a must for this stuff.

Edited by AzoMittle

Wow! You are quite good on movie trivia. I had no idea. I was just kidding but the stuff really is nasty and I suppose I will have 5 lbs for life I avoid it like lampblack. Thanks

I noticed a lot of the comps have Potassium Chlorate..is there a specific reason for that? (Excuse my newby questions)

I to am somewhat of a newbee myself. As I understand itt chlorates produce more vibrant colors however chlorates are incompatible in some compounds unless specific precautions are taken and generally are much less safe than perchiorates. They are still used by people who have the understanding to work with with them to great effect. But I don't use chlorate - got all the tooling for whistle rockets, hydraulic press, blast shield but just haven't worked up the confidence to press them. But as for me I will avoid working with chlorates.

Edited by Merlin

I noticed a lot of the comps have Potassium Chlorate..is there a specific reason for that? (Excuse my newby questions)

No, no, no, that is a GREAT question. I don't have a 'for sure' answer but I can take an educated guess at it; hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge can chime in. Note that I could be completely and utterly wrong about everything that follows, it is just my best guess, always double check the info you get, especially from random people online.

I would say it has more to do with when these formulas were made, most formulas from the Weingart/Kentish/Degn era used chlorates instead of perchlorates (IIRC perch wasn't readily available at this time). You'll also notice a lack of things like parlon or magnalium, instead chlorates were used as the chlorine donors and magnesium for 'vibrant' stars and bright aluminum for 'electric' stars. I'm not sure why the chlorates and magnesium fell out of favor exactly, most likely a combination of safety and availability/cost. I've also noticed that shellac is more popular in older formulas while red gum is more common in newer ones, again, I don't know if that is because of availability and cost or if it is because red gum works better in those perch+MgAl systems.

My intuitive understanding of this is that if you can combine your chlorine donor and oxidizer into one chemical (KClO3 vs KClO4+Parlon) you can increase the amount of color bearing chemical (10% carbonate w/ perch vs 30% carbonate w/ chlorate), if you can combine the cholorine donor, the oxidizer, and the color donor into one then even better (Ba(ClO3)2). For instance the best green I have ever made was pure Barium Chlorate with 10% Shellac; IIRC (don't quote me on this) the problem with is it priming, the chlorate can't come in contact with BP (such as on coated rice hull burst).

Check out this video of a barium chlorate pillbox star (not mine), don't look directly at the white spot where the star is but the reflection off the garage door gives a better indication of how it would like in the sky: https://youtu.be/RU3rcHT2ZxE

Here is another good video (from one of our own members, Rogerymaw) of an actual in-the-sky test: https://youtu.be/225s9hximQg

Merlin is right, chlorates come with certain incompatibilities and hazards. They produce beautiful stars and are still used in 'exhibition' formulas. Likewise magnesium produces a better color than magnalium however the aluminum in magnalium helps to 'tame' it to a certain degree. I don't remember all the chlorate safety info offhand because I too avoid them; if you decide to go the chlorate route make double, triple sure that you look into what can and can't be used with them.

Edited by AzoMittle

Oh, and as far as working with that particular bright aluminum goes, the best method I have found so far is to throw it into a ziploc bag with the other metals or charcoal (the coarser the better on both counts, I like the 30-60 mesh ferrotitanium and the 36 or 80 mesh charcoal but use whatever floats your boat), seal it up, and knead it in until it sort of coats the other components. Trying to knead it into any kind of comp that is a meal powder consistency is a PITA.

Do NOT mix into your oxidizers directly, making a bag full of flash is never a good idea. Gloves and a respirator are a must regardless, the stuff is a mess if it spills or gets airborne (to put it mildly).

Edited by AzoMittle

Potassium chlorate is a fair chlorine donor. It gives it up easier than perchlorates.

One formula up there really bothered me and should be avoided like plague. The first Lancaster blue says to use ammonium perchlorate and potassium chlorate. Ammonium perchlorate should never be used in a formula with any chlorate...or even in the same room chlorate comps are processed. The unpredictable and quite violent ammonium chlorate may evolve from such mixtures in the right conditions.

• Like 1

If you wanna get rid of that bright flake, just make up some heavy reports with Thunder #3 using it. I haven't been able to tell the difference between that comp and flash made with dense, single-digit micron aluminum.

attention

attention

attention:please do not use chlorate composition.

i make red pillbox

64...Potassium Chlorate

19...Strontium Carbonate

13...Red Gum

04...Dextrin

and it ignited it self last night and my lab is burned :-(

i will create a new topic later.

• 2 weeks later...

attention

attention

attention:please do not use chlorate composition.

i make red pillbox

64...Potassium Chlorate

19...Strontium Carbonate

13...Red Gum

04...Dextrin

and it ignited it self last night and my lab is burned :-(

i will create a new topic later.

Give us an update please.