APC Forum

School Project

Jeremy

Hello all,

A current school project has given us the freedom to "create a rocket" so what better of a place to see advice than a rocket forum! After some research (mostly YouTube videos) I'm thinking that a PVC R-Candy (KNO3 and sugar) rocket is going to be the way to go!

Now my main questions are;

1. Is this the right rocket for the project? It doesn't have to be fancy and I probably wont attach a parachute I just want to make a really epic rocket!

2. how sophisticated should the rocket design be?

I've also seen 2 major designs, which is better?

1. with packed kitty litter (clay) on either sides of a (baked) powdered KNO3 + sugar mix

2. Cooked KNO3 + sugar + water paste

I don't know a lot about the creation of rockets so any advise is helpful!

Thankyou,

Jeremy (And his year 10 rocket creation group)

I've got good results with the really uncomplicated designs: just kitty litter and very fine KNO3 and suger mix.
The only thing where you will have some difficulties is the core length en nozzle width.

It will be trial and error, and be consistent with drilling if you don't have a rocket tool set.

What would you like to achieve?

I mean what altitude, size, weight.

If you would like to go about 1000- 1200 feet. You can shearch on youtube for the channel grand thompson or so. ( dont have WIFI here in vacation)

Then shearch on his channel for the randomizer rocket.

He shows you how to build the rocket. And the engine which is a E class rocket engine with a powdered R-candy mix

Greetz SpaceRocketier

Edited by SpaceRocketier
  • Like 1

Hello all,

A current school project has given us the freedom to "create a rocket" so what better of a place to see advice than a rocket forum! After some research (mostly YouTube videos) I'm thinking that a PVC R-Candy (KNO3 and sugar) rocket is going to be the way to go!

1. Is this the right rocket for the project? It doesn't have to be fancy and I probably wont attach a parachute I just want to make a really epic rocket!

I've also seen 2 major designs, which is better?

1. with packed kitty litter (clay) on either sides of a (baked) powdered KNO3 + sugar mix

2. Cooked KNO3 + sugar + water paste

I don't know a lot about the creation of rockets so any advise is helpful!

Thankyou,

Jeremy (And his year 10 rocket creation group)

What is the actual assignment in detail? We need to know more before we can actually be of any help, happy to help but definitely need to know more.

Are you trying to make "a rocket, any rocket" or does it need to be a traditional finned/nosecone rocket or are you trying to explain the physics/chemistry of it or are you trying to explain the engineering aspects or are you trying to design the rocket motor, etc? Can you use commercial products or does it have to be entirely home made? Do you want something like this or something like this or something like this or something like this or something like this? Because they are all vastly different.

How many people do you have helping and what is your timeline/budget? Is this supposed to just be a science fair model and poster-board or will you actually be flying it? If so where?

edit: "It doesn't have to be fancy and I probably wont attach a parachute I just want to make a really epic rocket!" Chances are you won't make a "really epic rocket" your first time around, this is literally rocket science after all, people spend their whole lives working on this. Not to say it can't be done though. And you absolutely without a doubt HAVE to have a parachute, not just so you can use it again but also because you don't want it to come crashing down at high speeds and hit a person or a car or anything else.

Edited by AzoMittle

• 2 weeks later...
Also of great importance is the area in which you plan to launch this rocket. Is it planned to be launched on a specific date? One must consider weather conditions as it is critical to take all of this into account if one is to have a successful launch with a safe recovery within a reasonable distance, by safe I mean safe to you, and safe to everyone

IMHO I think that a water bottle rocket would be best for a school project on many levels. Safety being number one of course. The action of the ideal of using water and air can be seen and explained. Cost of research and development is a small investment with a quicker end produce to show. And I would say that if someone else was to follow your footsteps then it would be very safe compared to making the fuel for their own rockets.

Cato's are just to common to the unskilled, and it can take time to figure out how to make the engine to preform at it's best. So this is all something to think about as you explore this fun hobby. I am not saying your can not build your own rocket engines, but I would think that development at a calmer pace would be fun as will. You can still learn a lot from water bottle rockets........Pat

P.S. Please remember that PVC motors are dangerous if they CATO, if you do use fuel other than water you may want to use a paper housing (case) for the fuel.

Hello all,

Not knowing your age I tend to want to play safe. I see you are leaning toward PVC motors, again watch out for CATOs using the motors. Some sort of way to keep your rocket from becoming a lawn dart should be avoided. A parachute, streamer or some other way to slow the returning rocket down is always a good ideal. A 2 liter soda bottle is safe as is as it just about floats down compared to sharp nose pointed rocket. Which will find the least amount of resistance when returning to earth............Pat

Neither here nor there is the conversation I had with the local Police Chief about rocket motors. He told me rather frankly that if they were called out to investigate and found a PCV motor casing they will call it a pipe-bomb. End of story, they are NOT trained in discriminating between what does and what does not make a pipe-bomb, they will arrest and let the ADA make the call.

If they find a paper tube, that's fireworks, they know this from helping clean up the day after our local festival and see tons of paper tubes that smell like rotten eggs.

My unsolicited advice? Use a paper tube.

I make pvc motors 95%. I've had a few CATO. I would not like to experience one at a school, or near / with schoolchildren present. I'm not at all trying to put you off, just being honest. Yes, they're cheap, and parts are readily available . But they offer mind blowing performance that has to be calculated carefully to ensure they don't fail , ie they are " a bit moody ". Batches of pvc can even vary from lot to lot, these variances we can't test until ignition. There is much good info to be found and 1st learnt about pvc, & then I'd only attempt on your own, if you believe you have to skills and more importantly common sense to take it on. They're not as easy to build properly as you may think. There are quite a few custom tools that need to be build before even starting the motor. Especially if you want nozzles that work correctly etc etc etc

If you HAVE decided to go the r candy direction, ( I think the water rocket is a great idea for a school project) you'll need SPACE. If that's no problem why can't you make a simple nozzle less cardboard tube motor, taped to a balence stick like a bottle rocket. This would show them Newtons theories in action & you would only have a stick coming back down of course as long as it can be launched appropriately/safely. You could then show how the fuel burns at different rates at normal (atmospheric) pressure and high pressure as like in the motor when it's fired by weighing a small strand of fuel then weighing the motor. I would assume the motor to be heavier, tho it will most likely burn much quicker than the lighter strand. This can be made cheaply and made very small. Though my issue is I wouldn't feel comfortable as I wouldn't want any kids copying it....Just a thought, hope it helps

Lots depends on the free space available. If you don't have a football field to play on then don't build a fire rocket whatever the fuel. The pop bottle ( PET bottle) rocket demonstrates the same principles and only wets you with water if it fails.

Whatever rocket that you make do go through the science carefully. assuming you have lift, what force causes that lift, and calculating the lift, thrust, mass etc to determine the intended trajectory. You can demonstrate this with a very small rocket with maybe 2 grammes of comp, this reduces the harm a cato can cause, a rocket with no theory and calculations is just fun, NOT a science project.

• Like 1

Ive experimented with the uncooked kno3/sugar formula using kitty litter bentonite clay nozzles and bulkheads, I also discovered this method from the KingofRandom you tube page. His video tutorial is pretty good and he has both a simple version without parachute ejection charge and more complicated version with a delay burn (5% sodium bicarbonate) and black powder ejection charge. I didnt like the Idea of using PVC at the rocket tube and instead first made them from spent estes rocket engine tubes.

Later I rolled up my own tubes using paper bags and wood glue to produce something very similar to the estes tubes. I practiced a lot with just making bottle rockets till I got the technique reliable enough to put in my model rockets. Ive had a lot success and fun making them, and since have made a completely homemade rocket with homemade parachute, homemade engines with home black powder ejection charge.

The pleasure and satisfaction I received was unparalleled when my first all homemade rocket system was a success!

• Like 2

That is an awesome vid, nothing like the sound of success!! Well done!!

Bout 12mths ago I tried the GT approach. E45 class dry rammed with bentonite cap & nozzle. I used PVC, scoring inner surface to help clay grip the pipe. I could not stop blowing out nozzles. Drifts were ( still are ) a beautiful slide fit. Clay was compressed in 1/8" increments with a 4lb maul, fuel in 1/4" increments. Still blew Em out. I still have the marked drifts somewhere, I'll have to make some tubes and give it another go, seeing Skullivan has done such a top job of it. Plus the kids cost me a lot in Estes motors!!

Great job Skullivan. I agree with your last comment - it's not about saving money and more about self satisfaction.

In my view the mark of success with a model rocket is getting it back after launch, intact. Yours ended up only a few meters away!

Cheers.

@ AU $27 for three engines, using at least 6 a week, over a year that's $2808!!!! I'm very limited with what work I can do at present thanks to my back injury, as all my skills are in various heavy labor type areas, so being able to reliably reload them would be of great benefit!! ( 1kg of kno3 $10, 1kg Su $1 - I'd save $$$!!! )

Skullivan, u have inspired me to persist till I get 100% reliability!!

Again, that was pretty much the perfect launch

Yes!! Just test fired 2 Estes c motors with melted r candy, drilled a 2 - 3mm priming hole and left them end burners. Holy moly!!

I'm sure you can get Potassium nitrate for less than ten a kilo. That'd be a quarter grand for a bag!!! I was a bit surprised when it got to a hundred a bag a few years ago but I think it is a bit cheaper now. You are buying 25kg bags of it?