APC Forum

Using screens

patsroom

Ok, this is alittle strange. But I would like to know. When using screens in the mesh of say 150 mesh to 350 mesh just how hard and time consuming are they to use. Like say screening 2 .ozs at a time. I know, like I said it a strange one :unsure: ................Pat

Don't try metals, it'll ruin your screens. Anything other than that doesn't really need to be under 100 mesh and if it does I buy it milled our mill it myself.

For practical purposes I see no reason to use screens finer than probably 60 mesh. Any finer than this and screening or mixing becomes slow and tedious. If you'd like to grade metals or for things of more academic purposes, then finer screens can be of use. They're not extremely expensive so they can be fun to have around for select applications. Not necessary, but not entirely useless.

Ive tried to use a 100 mesh screen, but for general purposes, its no good, I cant imagine a 150 or 350 mesh screen being usable at all. I find more use with my 60 and 80 mesh screens, although, for most uses, a 40 and a 20 do all the work.

I used my 100 mesh screen for my chems to make BP before I got a mill. I'd run them through the coffee grinder until I could get all to pass the screen and then I'd sift them together. It didn't take more than a few batches to convince me I needed a mill!