APC Forum

Pyrotechnician titles

NeighborJ

Forgive my ignorance but I was wondering what the title of grand master signifys? Are there other titles? What does one do to qualify for such an honor?

The title implies that one is well versed in all things pyrotechnical but for all I know it could be a merit badge given to someone upon completion of certain tasks like the boyscouts. Someone please elaborate.

Thanks J

It just has to do with post count, as your post count reaches a certain number your title will change. I have no idea what those post count(s) are sorry.

Thanks xtreme for the clarification. I had met a woman at a PGI booth at a pyrofest earlier this year and she described herself as being mentored by a grand master. I had assumed that the title meant something more than post count.

Forgive my ignorance but I was wondering what the title of grand master signifys? Are there other titles? What does one do to qualify for such an honor?

The title implies that one is well versed in all things pyrotechnical but for all I know it could be a merit badge given to someone upon completion of certain tasks like the boyscouts. Someone please elaborate.

Thanks J

We are the most full of hot air and verbosity. :D

With senseless replies like that it's no wonder your post count is so high.😁

It's just some arbitrary titles we tossed in when the forum was set up. I think it kicks in at 5,000 posts. I try to keep mine about quality not quantity.

As far as true meaning, Grand Master is the title given to the annual PGI competition winner. It goes to the member with the most composite points from competition. You get points based upon where you place, and it's weighted based upon complexity or difficulty of device/competition. Bigger shells and rockets garner proportionally more points. It's also set up to encourage a well rounded competitor. To have a legitimate chance, you need to compete in multiple device types (ie. shells, rockets, ground devices, etc.). If you earn this title 3 times, you're declared a Life Master. You can keep competing and dominating everyone, but you're no longer eligible for the Grand Master title.

You can find a list of prior recipients here: http://pgi.org/membership/awards.php#gm

The rules for competition are here: http://pgi.org/files/2016/2016-Competition-Rule-Book.pdf

• Like 1

With senseless replies like that it's no wonder your post count is so high.

Thanks for the example! ;)

Donate a large enough contribution to keep the website going and they will honor you with a new title.

That's true. It's pretty and pink and everything.

Eh, maybe not all my posts are about quality.

Donate a large enough contribution to keep the website going and they will honor you with a new title.

I don't think it's a title, more like a badge. Then again I could be both color blind and wrong................Pat

That's true. It's pretty and pink and everything.

Eh, maybe not all my posts are about quality.

Hey... That post was still about quality. The quality of others, and the likes...

B!

What's a guy gotta do to get the coveted "Keeper of the Flame" moniker? :P

I cant put my finger on why, but i think H E Qualified is the most prestigious add on here.

I cant put my finger on why, but i think H E Qualified is the most prestigious add on here.

Prestigious? I and many others have no interest in HE, not much prestige in opting out... ^_^

• Like 1

I did say add on.

I shoot more dynamite than I care to think about in my job and no longer care for the meh of it. I got my gold checkmark for Improvised Munitions and basic EOD in the Corps. It was ugly, destructive stuff and I tired of it, the tension and stress involved with dealing in it. I may blow my hands off with fireworks but it won't be because the comp was too powerful or unstable, it'll be because I was stupid or negligent.

HE qualified lasts right up to the moment you become a pink mist. No thanks.