APC Forum

A soundproof box for my ballmill

dangerousamateur

Since I often run my little Rock tumbler indoors, the rumbling noise is acting on my nerves.

I'd like to put this thing into some soundproof box.

Do you have any experience in constructing something like that?

How would you do it?

A box made of medium density fiberboard would be my guess.

This is not for milling things like blackpowder of course, but single chemicals. Blackpowder will be made outdors of course.

One good idea is to run the mill away from your house and away from anyone else's property.

The ways to quieten a mill include a rubber mill jar and ceramic media. A rubber jar and ceramic media will take a mill to almost silent. Sometimes the downside is longer milling times, but who cares no-one can hear it. (which I like )

Yes, I know these rubber jars. Problem is they cost an equivalent of ca. 80 Dollars apiece here in europe.

I would rather spend that money on other pyro stuff.

But I found that even putting the mill inside a cardboard box makes it somewhat less noisy. A wooden or mdf box might do a much better job.

I wonder how about 60watts would heat such a box up...

Why don't you line the box with a sound absorbing material? There are a variety of materials available commercially for this purpose, but I'm not sure how well they work.

Because I have no box yet ;)

I thinking how to build one.

Insulation inside will of course be considered then.

For the very small tumblers, 3-6 lb like the Harbor Freight you can use a Styrofoam box. If you have a "Omaha Steaks" store near you your set. They ship product in these boxes with dry ice. You use the bottom portion of the chest upside down over the ball mill and discard the lid. They are like 2" thick, you'll forget its running. The trade off is they get hot inside even from that small motor. Stay safe. Kurt

I used a broken ice chest I found on the side of the road. The lid was toast, but it made the mill sound like a small brook. :-)