APC Forum

My dog loves fireworks

NeighborJ

I have a great dane who follows me everywhere, he's my shadow. Always wants to watch during builds and experiments. But at the test site he comes running when he hears the hiss of a fuse. This has become an issue because he runs up to to the rocket stand and waits intently, not 4' from it. He's got this excited look on his face as if to ask "OK dad what's this one gonna do?". I feel bad because I've been leaving him in the truck when I go to my test site and he gets this pitifully sad look.

I could leave him at home or chained up but I wasn't asking for a different solution, I just think it odd that he likes big bangs and bright lights when most other dogs would run the other way.

I have a similar issue. Brownie treats any lit firework like a squirrel and wants to catch it. Years ago, before i knew this, she got hold of a live gerb and roasted her whiskers. Fortunaetly she didn't suffer any real burn but it taught me to hook her up to her run before enjoying fireworks. On the other side of the coin, she will literally try to break window to get inside during the mildest thunderstorm.
  • Like 1

My friend had a dog that was the same way. You had to lock him up whenever we were lighting fireworks, because he would try and catch shells as they came out of the mortor

My dog on the other hand, crawls under the most solid object he can find and shakes for a few hours at the first boom.

Take him with you and chain him a safe distance from the fireworks. Stand by him when they goes off and share the time with him. If he loves fireworks that's good but teach him to stay back so him won't get hurt. I do not know of many dogs that love fireworks except the ones on youtube that grabs and runs with them. :P My little dogs runs and hides all over the place when they hear a little poof. Your lucky in that regards..........Pat

In the winter I need to keep an eye on Spencer when in the garage because he will stand directly in front of the turbo heater and roast his whiskers off. I always know where he is at when I suddenly smell burnt hair. I've tried to train him to stay away from hot stuff but I don't think he can feel it until it's too late. He's getting old and I'm not sure he will be around for another winter.

All the more reason to keep him safe and to take him with you when doing firework testing............Pat

I think humor gets lost in translation. Don't worry Pat he will still go with me to shoots, and he does (for the most part) stay at my side. He just gets a little confused as to where he needs to be when I lite the fuse and run away.

I love him and he loves me more than my wife does. I tested this by locking them both in the trunk of my car for an hour. When I let them out it was the dog who was happy to see me.😱😄😂😬 ok, not funny.

Disclaimer: no people or animals were injured or forcefully detained during the making of this joke.

Dog spelled backwards is God 😉