APC Forum

why it's rolled like this?

Arw

I make blue stars and try to add a layer of c6 on them.

but its rolled like this.

left is blue center and right is rolled center whit c6+some iron.

post-20636-0-38917300-1469357663_thumb.jpg

is that natural?

its my star roller

post-20636-0-71640800-1469357748_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arw

i kinda new at rolling stars, but what it looks like is your c6 is making it own stars and sticking to your core maybe a little less comp and give it more time to roll. or you could try toro

Heh, yeah that looks familiar... I use a bucket roller too and I've had this happen to me recently with some 5mm cut stars and it can be very frustrating. I managed to rescue them though and they came out round-ish.

http://pyrobin.com/files/White%20Twinkler.gif

I think the key was to keep them on the very wet side, almost sticking together, just be patient and eventually they should begin to round themselves out.

Edited by Pyrophury
  • Like 2

Wet rolling is fine for coated iron effects but I've noticed that it will kill a glitter star. Or cause the iron to rust if it's not coated. I've worked around this problem by dropping screen cut stars into a running roller with only dry prime in it. Strait off the screen.

This will round off the corners of the stars as they set, then let them dry completely before trying to add any glitter. This will prevent comp from sticking to the pointy edges and allows me to not over wet my glitters. I liked this solution so much that I do all my cut stars this way even if it isn't a glitter.

Those stars will work fine. The lumps will take fire easier than a round star will but those points may be to brittle for hard breaks, not to mention they will be hard to arrange in a hemi for even breaks. But please try them out. I'm convinced that every project I've made no matter how small has something to teach me.

I never have used cut stars for cores, I have the most trouble growing the stars to 1/4 inch so it sounds like the thing to do. they show toro just fine ?

memo

they show toro just fine ?

Memo, what do you mean by "show toro?"

Arw, this raspberry like effect as your stars grow is quite an easy thing to have happen when rolling charcoal stars. At a guess I expect most people who have rolled stars have had this happen, I know I have!

As NeighborJ said, they will work :) C6 is pretty easy to light, so you don't need prime over it but I still recommend a BP type prime. You won't have accurate timings with colour changes and burn time with such an irregular surface, but that won't stop them burning :)

As everyone else has pointed out it will help to roll them a bit wetter. Raspberries are usually born out of insufficient water. There is a fine line between too much water, just the right amount, and not enough with charcoal stars, so add a little bit and let them tumble for a while to get the water evenly spread out, and then decide if they need more water. This time letting them tumble can be very important for making sure that the water is wetting the whole surface of each star, and not mostly on the corners, because where the surface is wet is where the composition will stick when you sprinkle it on them.

And lack of patience as well. Sllllooooowww layering keeps a lot of raspberry bumps from forming too.

Memo, what do you mean by "show toro?"

Arw, this raspberry like effect as your stars grow is quite an easy thing to have happen when rolling charcoal stars. At a guess I expect most people who have rolled stars have had this happen, I know I have!

As NeighborJ said, they will work :) C6 is pretty easy to light, so you don't need prime over it but I still recommend a BP type prime. You won't have accurate timings with colour changes and burn time with such an irregular surface, but that won't stop them burning :)

As everyone else has pointed out it will help to roll them a bit wetter. Raspberries are usually born out of insufficient water. There is a fine line between too much water, just the right amount, and not enough with charcoal stars, so add a little bit and let them tumble for a while to get the water evenly spread out, and then decide if they need more water. This time letting them tumble can be very important for making sure that the water is wetting the whole surface of each star, and not mostly on the corners, because where the surface is wet is where the composition will stick when you sprinkle it on them.

seymour

I guess proof reading would make a big difference insert should and it might make it read a little better