APC Forum

looking for a good chemical supplier

bigbuck

Thanks Brad!

I got perchlorate! only perchlorate..

Check agora section for more detales or send me a PM

Edited by CrossOut

• 2 months later...

Thunder Valley/highqualitychems.com was never a part of or affiliated with Rolling Thunder/North Star or aka american pyro. rolling thunder was in wisconsin and is out of business

highqualitychems is in southern Iowa and I've been using them for a couple years now and having good luck so far. they don't have very many specialty chemicals but i like thier perchlorate and the chlorate. they have one thats like really fine salt and another thats like baby powder.

i dunno, i like em. like i said, havent had any problems.

Check Fireworks cook book

fireworkscookbook.com

He's got good stuff, and lower-priced than almost anyone else.

That crackle I demonstrated was made from Bi2O3 priced at about 50% of the 'going rate'.

He just added Vinsol resin to his list, also.

Lloyd

• 2 weeks later...

I also bought from Duda Diesel. Got 20 - or was it 25 lbs KNO3 from them cheap and fast. It was grilled, no big deal. I will buy from them again!

• Like 1

Hey lloyd I just purchased some of the bismuth trioxide from fireworkscookbook.com at real cheap price making some dragons eggs this weekend hopefully gonna try your way of doing it. What is the Vinsol resin used for in what comp??? If you don't mind me asking

There's no Vinsol in my crackle! What formula are you looking at?

Vinsol is a modified gum resin (from pine). There isn't any in any crackle formulae I'm familiar with.

It's used (sometimes) as an alternative to red gum (accroides resin).

Lloyd

I think he got confused by your mentioning that Chris was stocking vinsol in the same post as the bismuth.

Duck,

I just re-read your question, and it didn't ask what I thought... Patrick, he wasn't suggesting its use in crackle, just asking what it's used for.

As above, it's sometimes a substitute for red gum (and called out specificially in a lot of older color formulae). It's not used as frequently as it used to be, but is still valued in some colors.

LLoyd

I noticed while reading that Baechle called for it in a lot of his organic fueled color stars in place of colophony.

Yes lloyd I was just wandering what it's use was.iv already got your instructions printed for the dragons eggs and have all ingredients for so iv just never heard of the Vinsol is all thanks for all and sorry for bothering the thread. As far as chem supplier i used to use hobbychemsupply but I'm thinking he is going out of buisness. So I just placed my yearly with fireworkscookbook and was very satisfied with the prices and shipping was fast. The packing was all top notch aswell, no problems there...

Does anyone know who started the fireworks cookbook site? Just curious if I may know (of) them since it looks not too far away.

A private message is fine if you think they don't want their name being mentioned.

Cool. I've split some things with him in years past. Hope it works out good for him.

• 1 year later...

Mike, yell at me when you're in the market for materials. Since I hit some events I can often times pick up at them knocking out the shipping. You're not to far away if you're Mike I spoke to on Ned's site. To me picking up from our few suppliers helps two fold keeps them around and should help with the quality of our purchases for our uses. I'm hoping to visit fireworkscookbook in mid Feb. He offers many chemicals to suffice the demands of the ethanol market for using it in various products.I may have enough to cover what you're looking for being something like ethanol or potassium and can just replenish my stash if your needs are sooner than later. Since this is an older thread let's not forget Chris at fireworkscookbook.com our newest vendor. Nor should we exclude Harry at Skylighter.com even though he is a bit on the higher end of the scale most of the time. He has done a lot for the art. I still purchase from him even though I wasn't one of the ones he brought to the art.

Most of the list in above posts I've dealt with with no issues.

I am really new to this forum and I wanted to find an ethanol distributor. The one you have mentioned doesn’t really cater to chemicals as such. With the ethanol market being so huge there are distributors available online but I really wanted to buy from someone that could be trusted. I need a huge amount of ethanol and possibly methanol as my company works with biofuels. Producing biofuel is blowing up in today’s day and age and it seems like a really good alternative to petrol or other natural fuels. It used in various countries giving rise to a lot of pollution. And that’s why this kind of products like biofuel might have a lot of demand in the future. We have shortlisted a number of distributors but with past experience I know I will be needing more distributors for the kind of business we have in mind.

Edited by Stephbaker

I know Dudadiesel sells methanol by the 55 gallon drum. I don't know if they offer ethanol, but it may be worth a look for you. I have purchased chemicals from them in the past (of course, smaller quantities) and their customer relations is great! I have experimented with making biodiesel (on a small scale) myself. My supplier of raw stock is a small cafe near my farm and I use the resulting fuel in my tractors/combines. My next project/experiments will be "cracking" hydrocarbons such as plastics to make various fuels.

Edited by MadMat
  • Like 1

Oh, that's great! I will check out this supplier. Thank you. How was your experience with making biodiesel? Your next project sounds interesting. Keep us posted about it. I would like to know how it went.

They do, indeed.

https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=55gethanol

I know Dudadiesel sells methanol by the 55 gallon drum. I don't know if they offer ethanol, but it may be worth a look for you. I have purchased chemicals from them in the past (of course, smaller quantities) and their customer relations is great! I have experimented with making biodiesel (on a small scale) myself. My supplier of raw stock is a small cafe near my farm and I use the resulting fuel in my tractors/combines. My next project/experiments will be "cracking" hydrocarbons such as plastics to make various fuels.

For Blackhead 2 Micron Flake Aluminum check out pyro-aluminum.com

This is the exact same powder Star Molecule was selling for $20 a lb. My price is much lower.

Edited by deepdixie
  • Like 1