APC Forum

looking for a good chemical supplier

bigbuck

I mainly buy from Hobby Chemical Supply, Pyro chem source and Phil"s General Store.(tubes and chems). Hobby Horse has NEPT tubes and CannonFuse.com has fuse. There are other specialty vendors that sell pyro chems but you've gotta shop around. All I listed are far more reasonable than Skylighter on pricing. Edited by OldMarine

yes hobby chemical supply is who i use also, i was going to place an order but they do not list sulfur, i found it on ebay it says its 99% pure and organic is sulfur powder sulfur powder or are there different kinds?? ebay has it really cheap and free shipping too

Sulfur is pretty much sulfur anymore. There's some chlorate comps I'd rather have verified purity before using but most is good enough for our uses. I think almost all comes from fossil fuel refining and is pretty much the same. None of mine has tested acidic and I've bought from several places.

I've been wondering if the sulfur prills from Kelp4less is a usable product. It's cheap as dirt with free shipping.

Edited by OldMarine

Duda deisel is who I get my sulfur from. Last time I ordered, was at my door less than 30 hours later. Great price, too.

• Like 1

yeah they replied to my e mail last night and said they were going to update inventory, it was not listed yesterday

• 5 months later...

Hi all

New here, had a couple questions relating to this thread.

I recently placed an order on star molecule. They did not provide me with any tracking or shipping information. When I checked the site 2 days later I'm getting a "this account has been suspended" message. Verified on multiple different computers. This lead me to place an order on high quality chems . Com. Can anyone verify they are legit or speak of their quality?

Thanks in advance.

Oh man, you're not having a lot of luck lately. Star Molecule seems to have fallen off the face of the earth, and has had a poor reputation for a little while. They started off legitimate and upstanding, but something has changed. As for highqualitychems/thunder valley/Rolling Thunder/North Star/whatever other names they operated under, I'm not sure they're still in business either. The owner passed away, and I believe his stock was sold off or liquidated. A display company was selling some of the last of it at PGI this year. Someone has stated that it was being operated by his daughter, but I don't have any more information.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/11641-star-molecule/

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/9233-rolling-thunder-pyro/

If you're looking for some established and legitimate companies, might I suggest Skylighter, Hobby Chemical Supply, FireFox, Pyro Chem Source, or Fireworks Cookbook.

• Like 1

I looked some of these up, and here is what i came up with. This is shiped to me.

Hobby chem 2.50LB + 17.88 shipping

Pyro chem 3.00 + 19.59

Phil 56.5 + 19.38

2.99 + 14.60

I think i'll get 10lbs of this

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2374313.m570.l1311.R4.TR10.TRC0.A0.H1.Xsulfer.TRS0&_nkw=sulfur+powder&_sacat=104233

Edited by dynomike1

Dextrin will be the next thing. E-bay aint cheap, and the others tear you up on shipping.

Mike, yell at me when you're in the market for materials. Since I hit some events I can often times pick up at them knocking out the shipping. You're not to far away if you're Mike I spoke to on Ned's site. To me picking up from our few suppliers helps two fold keeps them around and should help with the quality of our purchases for our uses.

I'm hoping to visit fireworkscookbook in mid Feb. I may have enough to cover what you're looking for and can just replenish my stash if your needs are sooner than later.

Since this is an older thread let's not forget Chris at fireworkscookbook.com our newest vendor.

Nor should we exclude Harry at Skylighter.com even though he is a bit on the higher end of the scale most of the time. He has done a lot for the art. I still purchase from him even though I wasn't one of the ones he brought to the art.

Most of the list in above posts I've dealt with with no issues.

Matthew, if you dont mind busting up prilled kno3, dudadiesel has a better price almost 10$ cheaper for a 50# sack. They are very hard prills and it either requires cia,recrystalization or a really good ball mill to break it up. I buy 4 10# bags at a time to avoid the regulations required for the 50# lots. They also carry a few other chems which are usefull to a pyro.
  • Like 1

I have 50lbs. of prilled kno3 that i will sell cheap, still in original bags. Thanks Boo i only need 2-3lbs. of Dex. but in no hurry. I remember talking to you on fireworking but a lot of my mail seems to have disappeared. We will probably start blowing dams in march, then i will be heading to Nashville. $1.75 not that cheap. How much was the shipping? I found it for .70 a lb. I will take $1.00 a lb for the prilled.

Edited by dynomike1

I picked up KNO3 tech grade for a dollar or less a pound on one of my trips. I don't recall the exact pricing though. It was by far the best price I've come across without stepping outside of or vendors.

I should have a few spare pounds of dex laying about. I'll check tomorrow. Maybe I can get some free time in a week or two and swing that way or we can meet in the middle which ever works best for you? Since we've not met and it's not that far to travel your way. On a Friday we might could even get Bill from Memphis to meet us.

Works for me. I would like to meet Bill. Like is said i am in no hurry, but at your convenience.

I have yet to find KNO3 anywhere cheaper than kelp4less.com. And the best part, shipping is free, regardless of amount. And, they are awesome to deal with. I order 50 lb bags from them often. Once last year I ordered a bag, and it never showed. The tracking showed that it got delivered to the wrong address. I called and told them what happened. They not only sent me my order, but they threw in another bag FREE! Both bags showed up 3 days after I called. Stellar customer service. Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

As far as other chems, I get sulfur on Ebay in bulk, and the rest from either Pyrochemsource or Hobbychemicalsupply, depending on who is running a sale on chems that I need. Oh and for KCLO4, I get mine from Mike Lee. Awesome price and it's the best perc I have ever seen. He goes by "Crossout" on APC. Excellent guy.

Brad you need to look at Coop or stockdales, you should have one of them up there. I give $36.00@ 50#.

Man that is an excellent price Mike!! I have never heard of either of those stores. We have a farm service up here, but they don't sell KNO3.

Aparently sulfur can be had at some feed places too. I just tend to stick to our vendors since there are things they carry it's easier to acquire from them. I did by some supplies from a pottery store early on. I know some of the vendors now and spending a little more with a friend is worth it to me. I guess I'm a little funny that way.

I'm old enough to remember when there wasn't a Walmart around and we only had one dollar general in the county. The two grocery stores were owned and run by local fellas. So were the drug stores. We still have two of the three hardware stores in the county and no big box counterpart.

I thought sure yall had one of those places.