APC Forum

Perchlorate flash powder

Redrocketman

I have been sent 1kg of KCIO4. I am mainly focused sugar rocket design & thought it really would be of no use. Though I will use for flash powder. I am just curious as to what people believe to be a reliable composition used. There is just so many variants. To be used for small reports. Also, what mixing teqnique is advised. I will only prepare small quantity to be used soon, not stored at all. Thought mixing using diaper method on paper sheet, but would appreciate any advice. Cheers

perc has a lot of uses in the hobby but this forum discourages the use of flash for reports

Hmmmm, I don'the think that's accurate, Merlin. It's boomerz and k3w1z we discourage, perc flash is essential to our art, bottom shots, satines, timed reports, this list goes on and on.

It's the people and their use of flash that vilified it and why we become so protective about its use.

Dag, you may be right I probably should not have said anything. I was discouraging because only sugar rockets were mentioned and because there is no mention of Al types and because he was unsure of mixing methods and likely safety precautions and because he had just aquired 5 lbs of perc for which there many uses and was only inquiring of its use in reports. Flash is dangerous stuff. My bad. This is a call for Mumbles. Edited by Merlin

That's cool. I was after advice, which is the reason for using the forum in the 1st place. I'm being honest by saying what it's for. I am more than able to seek advice elsewhere if necessary. Say that is like saying to someone ' don't attempt to drive a semi-trailer truck or attempt the licence, it's too dangerous '. I am and always will be looking to further my pyro skills & abilities, how did all the pros get there? Through experience & getting the right knowledge & being steered the right way. Yes, most of the time my passion is rockets, but does that mean I should limit my skills too that area?? Regards

Not at all, go ahead and build what you want. The issue is one of the ATF and recent problems with misuse of flash. It's been verified that they are watching forums, we don't do or encourage anything here that is overtly illegal.

According to the ATF, you can make and use explosives on your property the same day you make it. State law may be much more prohibitive.

Where flash comes in is that it is specifically prohibited to be stored outside a Type 1 magazine in bulk form, meaning, not a finished device, not even a teaspoon.

Second, it's a felony to sell a flash "kit" and yes, there are arrests for this all the time.

What does all this mean to you? If you ask for ONE component and give us a plausible use outside flash, we will jump all over it helping you out. You come here and ask about BOTH components, the ATF will search all your history, accounts, postings, emails etc looking for your source.

What then will they do with the supplier? YOUR HAPPINESS is insignificant compared to the effect this could have on those that are involved in pyrotechnics, an unwitting seller is charged with a felony.

We are sorry but if anybody has but 2 brain cells to rub together, they will not help you with flash.

It's just not worth it.....

• Like 1

I get all the bang I care for from my BP maroons. I made a few for the 4th with some color star bits in thrthere and they were pretty impressive. They're a bit of a pain to spike but worth it IMHO.

bp bottom shots are pretty good, about 10% indian dark brightens it up a bit, kno3 bottom shots are good also 2 1 1 , but if you want a good loud bottom shot nothing like flash. sometimes they are just too loud for the neighbors.

memo

Edited by memo

I've been wanting to put a good salute on one of my rockets now that I'm fairly sure they won't make a round trip.

All good. I wasn't aware of any misuse, that is a shame. I. Not wanting any issues & as I said was not aware of any. Not where I live anyway. I guess it's one of those thugs to just ' forget about ' !!

I know perchlorate is rather expensive and somewhat hard to come by in Australia. To be honest, I'd save it for something where perchlorate is more useful, like colored stars or whistles, and save the flash for something cheaper. You can make salutes from BP, as well as nitrate based formulas without much issue. It's already bound to be a little on the slow side based on the aluminum you said you have.

Don't worry about asking. This is just sort of a touchy subject for some. It's always a balancing act trying to figure out the right amount of information to give without encouraging or supporting someone to do something unsafe, unwise, or something they're not really ready for.

• Like 1

Thanks mate. Obviously I hit a sour note with some people. The reason I originally asked was because after a quick look the 1st searches came up with this forum with the same question asked. I'm not an idiot fellas, that's why I preferred to put it out there. It's pisseasy to get. Yes, I can make & do usevery good BP for burst & lift charges for various purposes, but as stated, I am and always will be looking to further my skills, not be a dickhead & do something stupid that would most likely hurt or kill myself or someone else, or at the very least, lose all my privledges & probabally also end up in jail. We've got it real good here, & that's how I should stay.

Noise and flash powders are essential as parts of pyro, there are lots of flash compositions just like there are lots of colour compositions. People who make flash bangers usually attract the adverse attention of law enforcement if they make a nuisance with their noise, people who make good fireworks usually attract less attention.

I agree 100%. If though I am at my property, with 37km to the nearest house, 49.5km to the nearest township, and I am launching some small E class rockets for which I would like a loud report, is that an issue? Reason being that 1) there is no one around to disturb, & the closest properties relish any such sound, as It helps keep predators on edge which are always causing grief to livestock. 2) I like rockets with a report!!!

I fully know that there are other substitutes ( ie BP ) for such use and 98% of the time is my weapon of choice, but as I've said, I will and always will be furthering my experience & skills. For how did all the guys that have been doing it for years learn in the first place? By getting taught correctly. I honestly am not trying to cause any drama, I was only after safety advice, as that IS my main priority. I have pages of different compositions, learning that's is no problem & was not my intention for starting the topic in the 1st place, As with everything else in life, I have had to learn & do it all myself, so continuing that way is not at all an issue. I just was hoping that there may be some help in pointing generally the right way, or if there was any major concern anyone had in relation to responsible use of the composition in question, Thanks anyway.

"There is just something about the constant flash, flash, flash mantra that makes me cringe, for that reason, I'm out. stop.gif"

• Like 1

Hmm...same thing on FW right now. Curious.

I noticed that too, that is why I put "quotation" marks around my quote on FW. Seems to be a rash of this shenanigans on the forums lately. :whistle:

I agree 100%. If though I am at my property, with 37km to the nearest house, 49.5km to the nearest township, and I am launching some small E class rockets for which I would like a loud report, is that an issue? Reason being that 1) there is no one around to disturb, & the closest properties relish any such sound, as It helps keep predators on edge which are always causing grief to livestock. 2) I like rockets with a report!!!

I fully know that there are other substitutes ( ie BP ) for such use and 98% of the time is my weapon of choice, but as I've said, I will and always will be furthering my experience & skills. For how did all the guys that have been doing it for years learn in the first place? By getting taught correctly. I honestly am not trying to cause any drama, I was only after safety advice, as that IS my main priority. I have pages of different compositions, learning that's is no problem & was not my intention for starting the topic in the 1st place, As with everything else in life, I have had to learn & do it all myself, so continuing that way is not at all an issue. I just was hoping that there may be some help in pointing generally the right way, or if there was any major concern anyone had in relation to responsible use of the composition in question, Thanks anyway.

I have to be more careful with the iPhone hitting the same button twice! Sorry for double quote.

Redrocketman I apologize for my earlier post. I had no idea your located in Australia. I would not have said anything as I don't know the laws of Australia. I was only trying to help contribute to the forum as some people in USA are only interested in flash for boom M-80s and that is discouraged. With the land space you have you certainly won't upset the neighbors. As has been said there are uses for flash in pyro like breaking crossettes, plastic ball shells, etc.

I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Edited by Merlin

It happens every year after the 4th. I don't think this thread is involved in that though.

i think this thread is better than the others i was seeing earlier.
So let me point you in the right direction
make both the oxidizer and fuel both fine powder (separately ),place on piece of Kraft , proceed to diaper.

Stay Safe and Stay Green

~Steven

Gday all!!

Sorry, been committed to getting the next rocket body complete - done!! Thank you for the replies. I do not and never have ment to upset anyone, I was only looking for advice. it is such a shame that obviously some people have been a bit foolish, making it difficult for people to be able to really tell if someone is looking for info for legitimate reasons or to get up to mischief. Agian I take all replies seriously, and can see that this is a bit of a grey area that requires caution. I hope I haven't offended anyone, as I will most likely need help again in the future, and hope I can pass on any advice, that may help someone else. Now it's starting to snow & ive got animals to check, so I better do that as they wont do it by themselves!! Thanks guys

A big thank you to those who put the time in to actually give me some advice, for that I can't thank you enough. I hope with time others will understand that I am dead serious about my hobby, and in the future will be moving into full pyrotechnics once the government finalises laws. At the present it is not worth the expenditure when there is still a shadow of doubt about which way laws will go. Cheers all
  • Like 1

I lost count of the apology's on this post. As a new member, I hope this isn't the norm

I lost count of the apology's on this post. As a new member, I hope this isn't the norm

It is not the norm but the forum discourages people who ask about flash possibly for making m-80s. I was wrong about the inquirer in this thread so I apologized. If I wrong someone I believe I should apologize. This rarely happens.

I like your handle quite imaginative

Edited by Merlin
  • Like 1