APC Forum

burst charge

bigbuck

ok so i know the usual matireal used for burst charge is rice hulls but i ran across some plain old rice puff cereal at super market, could these be used as an alternative to say rice hulls or ground corn cobb ? there is no sugar or anything on it, seems if they were coated in bp meal combined with whistle mix it may be a readily available alternative orrrrrr would it be too light? I know rice hulls are more dense

Puffed rice cereal works fine, I've even used puffed corn cereal. If it is really 'puffy' you might need to coat it slightly more than usual to compensate. Coating with BP is usually sufficient, do not coat rice hulls/cereal with whistle but only add loose whistle to the hemi as needed.

This has been discussed before, please use the search function as well as google.

• Like 1

You want the generic puffed rice cereal, not something like Rice Crispies just to be clear. If I recall correctly, I used to coat them 4:1 by weight of my burst of choice. I also found there to be a sweet spot when wetting them. You don't want to get them too wet or they start to shrink. I would spray them until they just started to stick together or stick to my gloved hand. Then start dusting in burst. Then alternate between spraying and dusting until all of my burst was coated on. You can do this in a star roller, but I always did it in a bucket with one hand stirring.

Also, I moved this to a more appropriate spot. The pyrotechnic compositions section is really for tried and true formulas.

do you generally use bp meal with dextrin added to coat burst charge? the reason i ask is when making pulverone it usually has dextrin in it but i was wanting to know if you can coat rice hulls with that comp also

Yes, you will want to add dextrin. Also, just to clarify, you will want to add a ball milled product that burns quickly to the rice hulls for the best results.

Have a look at your next asia food shop. Most carry plain puffed rice w/o any additives. They work very good.

Add 4:1 hot bp with 2% dextrine. Add the powder in a star roller and don't presoake them in water or they crumble.