APC Forum

How's passfire, Ned's site, etc these days?

flying fish

So I've been on a hiatus from pyro for a while due to other projects and life generally being hectic. I used to belong to both Passfire and Fireworking. Last I checked (over a year ago), Passfire was sort of dying down and Fireworking was picking up. Is that still the case?

I liked Passfire as a reference for building cylinder shells, it seemed like every aspect for them was covered in discussion, so long as you had the patience to work with the limited search functionality. Even if the forum is dead, I'm thinking of renewing just to have access to that. I'm curious, how dead is it exactly? :P

Fireworking is pretty busy and Passfire is slow but steady. Like you said, the articles and such on Passfire are worth the price of admission and I like that a question asked there receives more well thought answers than anecdotal ones.

Personally It seems as though some level of activity has dropped on all of the sites the past couple of years.

Each time I log on to any of the Pyro sites it is usually the same members logged on.

This hobby is not getting any easier to enter or participate in with legal restrictions and requirements.

Every 4th of July I dread waiting to see the local and national news stories about "Fireworks" accidents.

Each year we see another bill introduced to restrict sales of some sort of item that is on the hit list.

With kids getting hurt making sparkler bombs, that will be the next item to go on the hit list.

Hopefully the clubs and guild will promote the craft/hobby to keep it viable.

I don't think forum activity is a good indicator of hobby participation. Most people I know active in this community couldn't care less about "typing in internet chat rooms".

Most would rather work in their shop if given some free time.

It's the true addicts you find roaming these sites...

I see one to two posts on passfire each day, many more here and double that on Fireworking. I re-joined Passfire just last month, I hope to post some but really dont want to see anymore of the flame wars...

Dave, there aren't any assholes (Except me) on Passfire now. Kyle cleaned house and moderates it well. Like I said in a previous thread, it's more like a library full of great old books with hushed tones and a stern Librarian. Edited by OldMarine

Well... I guees you are a MARINE. :P Looks like a lot of the formulas are missing?

Well... I guees you are a MARINE. :P Looks like a lot of the formulas are missing?

I never saw it during the heyday but the formulary is impressive still and there are many more if you can search them among the threads (very hard)

I never saw it during the heyday but the formulary is impressive still and there are many more if you can search them among the threads (very hard)

Right, but the search function is and has always sucked. :angry:

Thanks for the update, guys! I think I'll probably hop back on both sites. The articles, formula database, calculators and tables are all great, but I always got the most use out of the archived posts in the forum itself. It's definitely a pain in the ass to actually find the information, but it's there! Definitely wish the search worked better. I remember sometimes it was pretty quirky, like you had to do something to get all of the results to display. Maybe it was just my browser at the time.

Another valid indicator of activity in the craft/hobby/guild is membership and attendance of the annual PGI convention.

Does anyone know how to find Powder Monkey's hand rolled bottom shot pictorial on Passfire? Anyone remember that? I've been searching for 15 minutes and can't find it!

Edited by flying fish

Thanks! I do have Don's video. I like building them the opposite direction (starting with the spolette), which is what PM showed. It was a forum thread, not a tutorial, but it seems to have disappeared. I also like the technique where you use multiple "books" instead of just one. It's been years since I've made one so I wanted to brush up.

Every time someone posts a question I always scratch my head and consider all of the videos I have watched on YouTube.

If you want to do brain surgery I am sure it is on YouTube, just so long as you are selective with the videos and validate the source

there is an endless supply of tutorial videos on just about any topic these days.

Sorry FF, I looked at all the hits Powder Monkey posted with Bottom Shot and that all I found...

Thanks for trying :). It's possible I was thinking of someone else. My memory is going in my old age (I just turned 30 :P)

I think I'll PM PM and ask! I don't know if he's even still on Passfire though!

Edited by flying fish