APC Forum

Fireworks Ballistics

sora

Some Fireworks (aerial shell) ballistic parameters found in the net:

http://pyroinnovations.com/display-fireworks-facts.html

Roughly whats the diameter of the shell in inches the shell will ascend that many hundred feet.

and some more statistics:

http://ghergich.com/infographic-examples/beyond-the-boom-how-fireworks-work/

Edited by sora

Wait a minute.... what....? Are they listing Forbes.com and TravelChannel.com as their sources.....? Maybe that's where they got the figures for fireworks displays in each city or something.

I mean, yes, it is a pretty infographic that someone did a great job compiling, but there are zero credible first-hand sources. For example, where in the world did they get the muzzle velocity from? I really hope I'm just being dumb from no sleep and missed it somewhere.... (again, cool post!)

Michael Russell's "Chemistry of Fireworks" has mathematical formulae for determining muzzle velocity and expected altitude for different sizes shells.

Yeah, there are no first-hand sources, but contrary to what many may believe, the people at TravelChannel actually do pretty decent research, and, of course, Forbes has a reputation that they certainly wouldn't want to tarnish by publishing BS. As far as muzzle velocities, anyone with a radar gun at a fireworks show (if allowed close enough) could take some velocity readings and average them out. OR, granting some assumptions, they could be calculated. Either way, it's a pretty cool post

The trouble is that burst diameter and burst height are design features that the designer and maker can change at will for effect.

If you want first-hand sources I'd suggest looking into the various studies by the Kosankes, or some of the scientific publications from Takeo Shimizu. The Kosankes do somethings I would consider to be less than scientifically rigorous, but the data is still there and will give a decent approximation. Shimizu is thorough and usually quite good.

Shimizu's stuff can probably be found in Fireworks from a Physical Standpoint or some of the Selected Pyrotechnic Publications by Dr. Takeo Shimizu. I unfortunately own neither, so I am limited to what's available on google books, and things I've scraped together throughout the years. The Kosanke's stuff is in Journal of Pyrotechnics, Selected Pyrotechnic Publications, and some stuff in the AFN Newsletters and BAFN.

I sure wouldn't use them for setbacks or scientific research purposes but they sure look close enough for layman use for the general public.

Still, pretty pictures!! :P