APC Forum

Flash ratios?

Lrsnsam

Hey! i know stuff! I really do! Ok, so joking aside... You got a point.

First mistake, and this is one you can walk away from. There simply is no "safe" amount of flash.

I never said safe. I said safest.

I can't think of a single reason for any hobbyist to mix 3 lbs of flash. Holy $^*T!!!

Beraq shells. You will need between 1-4 lb for one, depending on the break count and shell size. And then you still have the bottom shot, with classical 300g or more.

It doesn't take much to self contain.

Depending on your composition, i've seen as little as 3-5gr quoted. At 50gr i have a hard time seeing any flash composition not self containing. This was somewhat my point. Regardless of the amounts he's going to work with, he's going to be at risk of blowing shit up. Larger amounts means your at risk for a larger amount of pain, but also has the advantage of requiring taking said risk fewer times.

I don't remember who said it, but someone on the forum said something along the lines of "i make a single large batch, rather then multiple small ones. It will leave me dead rather then disfigured, and i can deal with that."

It pretty much just comes down to what your own scale puts you at. Horrible disfigurement, vs death, or no damage at all. (say 20 grams vs 500, or 5)

B!

I really appreciate all the responses I got! I have a question: if I wore a welding suit will that prevent a burn? I am a perfectionist. I've watched multiple people make batches of flash online that know what they are doing and I do the exact same BUT better. I spray everything, I mean EVERYTHING with static guard. I use the diaper method. I only crush the perchlorate on its own. I only sieve the perchlorate on its own over the aluminum. I only do my work in over 60% humidity. If I follow all of these steps, is there still any possibility something could go wrong? Don't be that guy that answers like everyone knows and says that something could always go wrong because I'm aware. Realistically is there any minute possibility of something going wrong doing everything I do? I started mixing 30 gram batches.

unless I have it totally wrong, I look to mix flash with the humidity is above 60% not below. static likes dry not hi humidity

Why is it while im gone on a brake , this happens xD .
Okay , Sooo... What i see are questions that keep being repeated and one who isn't getting through their head that flash for a beginner isn't a good practice ( although i guarantee a good bit of use have started with it )

ARE YOU SERIOUS , No one has read this..

I really appreciate all the responses I got! I have a question: if I wore a welding suit will that prevent a burn? I am a perfectionist. I've watched multiple people make batches of flash online that know what they are doing and I do the exact same BUT better. I spray everything, I mean EVERYTHING with static guard. I use the diaper method. I only crush the perchlorate on its own. I only sieve the perchlorate on its own over the aluminum. I only do my work in over 60% humidity. If I follow all of these steps, is there still any possibility something could go wrong? Don't be that guy that answers like everyone knows and says that something could always go wrong because I'm aware. Realistically is there any minute possibility of something going wrong doing everything I do? I started mixing 30 gram batches.

This man/kid wants to make 2,000 and mix 3,000 grams of flash(for you who dont know that is 6.61LBs ) ! This is outrageous!
First off let me just tell you . Just Because you watch someone online mixing flash and you think they know what their doing does not make you educated !
Second i would like to know , what are you using for your 2000 rockets ? cardboard tubes , PVC , Plastic Etc..?
Third , I can almost guarantee your you are bound to have an accident because you are having all of this faith that just because you are wearing this protective gear , think your static free and think you are safe! You should never go into making flash thinking your safe or what you're doing is safe ! and mixing a small amount of flash at a time is just a dangerous as mixing 6.6Lbs of it, the same risks are involved and your chances of blowing up is still high! Something else that I have seen no one point out yet is that if you are filling 2,000 rockets and if an accident were to happen while you were mixing this shit you would still be likely to die even if 1 gram of flash went off. 2,000 rockets going off in your work space is bound to kill you! Each time you pour the flash into the header you are taking another risk of it going off!
I have more to say but im gonna leave it there for now !
Stay Safe and when you get burned dont get Green !
~Steven

• Like 1

yes , I read it... my first thought was he is a bomb maker and doesn't know what he is doing. smart enough to ask questions though. 2000 rockets sounds a little fishy. he does have time to make a lot of salutes and sell them before the 4th...... just a thought..

memo

i say let him research on his own and lock this topic, but im not in charge and may be going over bored , we have gave him the information he needs !

Okay I have to say, the only reason I said 2000 rockets was to get the idea in your heads so I can get the best info out of you guys. If I were to make HUGE batches I know what I'm getting myself into. I actually am only making around 150 rockets and each is getting 3 grams of flash (I know it's a lot but all of my neighbors don't care and actually enjoy it). I have made flash before only using 10 grams at a time. This time around I'm using 20 grams at a time. After the many many times I've made the flash over these periods I started to put my safety to the test. I made ONE 100 gram batch and I'll never do it again until much later down the road. Again, I really appreciate all this feedback. I have to say that I did know what I was getting into when making my 10 gram batches but I didn't know what I were to get into if I need to make a huge batch.

post-20597-0-62594100-1467083349_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lrsnsam

unless I have it totally wrong, I look to mix flash with the humidity is above 60% not below. static likes dry not hi humidity

Electrons build up more easily in dry conditions. Humidity is statics worst enemy.

Mumbles .. can we lock this topic ... i feel its a waste of space .. >.>

What's the 1st prize amount?

You gonna do all 2000 the same or mix em up till you get a prize winning rocket?

Or is it the best showing gets the prize? 2000 rockets should be a good showing. You gotta be pressing em right? Your not gonna ram 2000 rockets? That would take until the 4th to do.:)

I say trust your instincts. If you trust yourself run that shrimp. <-frickin iPad always messing my words up.

I've had good luck with flash batches up till now but I don't ever need 3000g.'s, I use chlorate not perchlorate but only because my aluminum WAS homemade. Good luck!

Is it a cash prize?

Yes, this is getting locked. I was out of town all weekend otherwise I probably would have taken care of this much earlier.

You guys really need to rethink what you're saying and suggesting. The questions were fine on the surface, but you have got to be shitting me if you think it's a good idea to be giving an inexperienced person advice on making kilos of flash period. Batch size really isn't a factor when talking about that scale and the sort of damage it could cause.

• Like 3