APC Forum

Recommend a bushy white tailed star for me please

Arthur

I'm looking for suggestions for a white star with a bushy white tail, for use as a rising comet. What comps would you suggest please.

I'm thinking something in the lines of a slow gold matrix with a lot of 200mesh spherical aluminium (say 30 - 50 %)

60 - P.Nitrate

30 - dark aluminum

10 - 80-150 mesh ti or spherical alum

3 - dextrin

2% boric acid

bind with 25% alcohol/water (denatured)

60 - P.Nitrate

30 - dark aluminum

10 - 80-150 mesh ti or spherical alum

3 - dextrin

2% boric acid

bind with 25% alcohol/water (denatured)

Could you replace dark al with 325 bright flake?

If you want a true white or silver, you'll want to use potassium chlorate or perchlorate. Nitrate based stars are a touch dimmer and often are a little grey in comparison.

This is Hardt Silver #3. I quite like it for comets.

Potassium Perchlorate - 32

4FA Blackpowder - 28

American Dark flake Al (809) - 6

Bright flake Al (808) - 21

Aluminum flitters (813) - 5

Dextrin - 8

All the greasy aluminum makes this difficult to wet. Using thin wheat paste is the best method. The 4FA makes a nice bushy tail, and helps to preserve perchlorate. It also makes the star more dense, which is helpful for consolidating.

As far as Meowmix's question, I wouldn't suggest it. All bright Al would make the stars somewhat difficult to compress due to the low density. Typically a portion of dark flake, or atomized Al is used. 50% of the Al by mass renders most compositions pretty easy to work with.

Can grape-nut Ti produce a bushy long tail when mixed in a perchlorate magnalium matrix? The comp is intended for comets.

C6 with added 250-450 ym Ti ( 10%) or yankees flashing stars with 60-100 ym atomized al and 5 parts of the al replaced with flakes al -325 if you want to surpress the flashing. This gives a very nice white tail.

I would like to know that size is aluminum I use. but in the it can just put it to for resins: "Carga para resinas" ... aluminums I have are this and indian flake.

size used for epoxy resins, It is standard or can vary?

It is true that has a soft break, only use BP for break it.

Edited by Aspirina

Ok thats the reason they behave more like streamers then like a white star they should be. Resin al is typically of 150-240 mesh sizes. Good for glitters. That formula is designated for -325 flake al. For a streamer rather use yankees flashing stars.