APC Forum

Explosive devices possibly used in gay bar shootout this a.m.

lloyd

First reports have 20 killed, 43 transported to local hospitals, and the assailant dead in this a.m.'s instance of gunfire at a local gay bar in Orlando. Multiple weapons were used, and perhaps explosive devices.

"The Pulse" nightclub.

L

Just heard a press conference. Everyone tiptoed around everything except the type of weapons used.

Guys... we need to fight this.

There are a flurry of activity from anti gunners calling for all sorts of stuff from mass confiscation (not likely to happen) to assault weapon bans or banning people on terror watchlists from buying guns. We can't allow this to continue. I know it has nothing to do with pyro but you need to realize that at least in the USA pyro is almost an extension of shooting sport, and if guns get severely limited so will pyro (remember EU's ban on "explosive precursor"?)

Please write to your representatives, donate to people like NRA-ILA.

We can't let people exploit this tragedy to push their agenda.

It is so incredibly hard for me to keep my mouth shut anymore. I can't do it.

Today, statistically, over 1,000 people will die from medical malpractice, and twice as many will sustain injuries from such. It happened yesterday, it will happen tomorrow. Over 1,000 people die from it each and every day. It's a mathematical fact that over 400,000 people die from it each year. Even conservative 1980's estimates (which are considered wrong today) was over 100,000 a year.

Using 2014 figures (which was a 'better' year) over 80 people will die each day from motor vehicle accidents. That was over 32,000 for the year and over 20,000 of those were passengers.

In 2015, we had about 13,000 gun deaths, about 36 each day.

Medical Malpractice = 1,000+

Motor Vehicles = 80+

Guns = 36

What happened in Orlando is horrible, unthinkable. It's upsetting to me personally to see so much suffering for no reason.

I'll end with a quote from an activist close to where I live:

"The UpStairs Lounge arson attack took place on June 24, 1973 at a gay bar located on the second floor of the three-story building at 141 Chartres Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana.[1] Thirty-two people died as a result of fire or smoke inhalation. The official cause is still listed as "undetermined origin

It is the deadliest arson attack in New Orleans history, and one of the deadliest attacks on LGBT people in United States history, second only to the 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting. The reaction by the city and media following the attack was indifferent. Those seeking burial services for the dead were turned away by many churches, and several families refused to come forward to claim victims' bodies out of shame. While most news outlets ignored the story, mentions of the incident in editorials and talk radio made light of the tragedy, mocking the victims because of their sexual orientation."

Mods, feel free to delete this if need be, I did try to keep this as politically neutral as possible and only display facts.

Sorry if any of this seems insensitive, it's not meant to be. I'm very sad about what happened, but I also know that this is maybe the best time to educate people about bigger dangers in life.

I am unsure why you quoted that activist. Are you trying to compare death totals? Are you trying to compare arson to firearms? Are you trying to compare media coverage? Are you trying to compare community response?

It's a random discussion thread and I felt like being random. :)

Edited by PhoenixRising

Does the quote bother me? In what way? Does it bother me that people were treated this horribly in the past? Yes. Does it bother me that there are still some places where this treatment might still happen? Yes.

Sorry I changed my last post. I'm going to exclude myself from this thread because I shouldn't have posted in the first place. My bad. Take it easy! :)

You were right to post. I could as easily beat someone to death with a hammer as shoot them and with cost of ammo I'd be better off economically. Edited by OldMarine

• 1 month later...

Whats wrong with the post? They called for a no killing for 30 days in Memphis, and it didnt last 30hrs. 1 was killed every night since then and 2 last night. They need to start a killer eradication program.