APC Forum

Winokur 39j variant, smashed

PhoenixRising

Had a little fun with a 39j spinoff.

Replaced half the aluminum with 80-200 mesh Mg/Al, and replaced the +2.5 Mg/Al with 30-80 Aluminum. Funny, I know, but it's all I have to work with ATM. :) It was still pretty.

I used a little bit better confinement than usual but only reduced the booster by 20%. The result was that most of the stars got smashed. Just going to remember to either lower the booster more or use a little less confinement, or possibly just add another point or 2 of dextrin to the stars. It seems that 39j uses 1 less percent of dextrin than regular 39. Not sure if that's a misprint or not, but felt like I've seen it that way on more than one source. Anywho, here's a little video of it in action.

Will probably upload another vid of the same formula with just a bit less confinement to see if the stars live this time. Also I will get some "proper" coarse Mg/Al soon enough to do "actual" 39j with the 2% carbonate prime (these were unprimed.) Oh, and the charcoal used was Southern Yellow Pine. Made my kiln smell like Pine-Sol for a few days. Other Al used was Eckart 120.

post-20485-0-37134300-1465698267_thumb.jpg

Edited by PhoenixRising

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to upload this video from a week ago. Here's less confinement but everything else the same. All the stars lived this time, though the fact that they were not primed with 2% BaCO3 probably makes the flame a lot hotter at first, destroying the delicate nature of the glitter. It's all in good fun experimenting to get what I'm after, so it's a win for me every time a shell lights properly.

I probably won't update this thread until I get a true Win39j that's closer to what I'm looking for.

how'd you get such square cuts on those stars

or were they pressed instead of cut

Edited by jakespeed