3 replies to this topic

#1 PhoenixRising

PhoenixRising

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:30 PM

Had a little fun with a 39j spinoff.  

Replaced half the aluminum with 80-200 mesh Mg/Al, and replaced the +2.5 Mg/Al with 30-80 Aluminum.  Funny, I know, but it's all I have to work with ATM.   :)   It was still pretty.  

I used a little bit better confinement than usual but only reduced the booster by 20%.  The result was that most of the stars got smashed.  Just going to remember to either lower the booster more or use a little less confinement, or possibly just add another point or 2 of dextrin to the stars.  It seems that 39j uses 1 less percent of dextrin than regular 39.  Not sure if that's a misprint or not, but felt like I've seen it that way on more than one source.  Anywho, here's a little video of it in action.  

Will probably upload another vid of the same formula with just a bit less confinement to see if the stars live this time.  Also I will get some "proper" coarse Mg/Al soon enough to do "actual" 39j with the 2% carbonate prime (these were unprimed.)  Oh, and the charcoal used was Southern Yellow Pine.  Made my kiln smell like Pine-Sol for a few days.  Other Al used was Eckart 120.  

Attached Files

• Attached File  004.jpg   70.65KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  007.mp4   40.48MB   77 downloads

Edited by PhoenixRising, 11 June 2016 - 08:35 PM.

#2 PhoenixRising

PhoenixRising

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

Forgot to upload this video from a week ago.  Here's less confinement but everything else the same.  All the stars lived this time, though the fact that they were not primed with 2% BaCO3  probably makes the flame a lot hotter at first, destroying the delicate nature of the glitter.  It's all in good fun experimenting to get what I'm after, so it's a win for me every time a shell lights properly.  

Attached File  009.mp4   15.59MB   23 downloads

I probably won't update this thread until I get a true Win39j that's closer to what I'm looking for.  

#3 jakespeed

jakespeed

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:29 PM

how'd you get such square cuts on those stars

or were they pressed instead of cut

Edited by jakespeed, 25 June 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#4 PhoenixRising

PhoenixRising

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:27 AM

Edited by PhoenixRising, 26 June 2016 - 11:55 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Glitter, Winokur 39, broken too hard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users