APC Forum

Gunpowder Grain Pellet Rockets?

BlueComet24

I noticed that these gunpowder pellets look a lot like BATES fuel grains, and I don't think that anyone has tried making a rocket motor using them. I don't think they're pressed very hard and thus they'll burn very quickly, so they might just CATO a motor. They'd probably need a burn inhibitor around the edges and no nozzle. Do you think they would be likely to work?

They suck in my muzzleloader. I don't know how they'd work otherwise. I've actually had to remove the nipple, add powder, re-insert and fire again to clear the stuff.

I don't like undependable products.

Edited by OldMarine

BlueComet,

What you miss is that they are NOT "gunpowder". They are a modified (and "cheated") version of a perchlorate-based composite-propellant that doesn't resemble gunpowder at all. They are MORE explosive when confined than black powder, yet - because of 'special dispensation' - from a government agency, allowed to be sold as if they were not explosive at all. *and it was all a 'good-buddies deal' to allow that to happen*

Pyrodex is a lie. It ALSO doesn't work worth a crap in any black-powder-equivalent setting for ANYTHING except a narrow range of calibers of BP long arms. It doesn't work worth a damn in pistols. It's just NOT the same as BP.

No... don't use Pyrodex for anything pyrotechnic. You'll both waste your money and your time, and you'll be furthering a crony relationship between a manufacturer and government agency that doesn't appear to be legitimate!

LLoyd

I'd lean towards no. That is pyrodex, not black powder. Pyrodex is a BP substitute for firearms, and doesn't really work particularly well for our purposes. It requires much higher pressures that we can typically achieve to function as intended. In the open or at low pressures it burns somewhat slowly. It has been attempted before with some success though. If you want to work at it a bit, it may be possible.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/5875-pyrodex-pellets-for-fuel/