APC Forum

Consumer fireworks in Florida

MrG1990

Hello, I live in Florida where basically any fireworks other than sparklers are illegal without a license/permit. I would like to use some of the store bought fireworks(1.4g I believe) at home on July 4th without any fear of getting in trouble, but I can only find license information on the bigger 1.3g fireworks. I'm hoping someone on here might know a little more, or even point in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any information you can give.

MrG.

Getting an ATF license in Florida is NOT a really big deal. They're friendly and conveniently able to visit and and inspect you as necessary.

However, I wonder what your interpretation of "illegal without a license or permit" is, exactly. It's not my 'experience' that you cannot shoot 1.4G on your own property without a license, unless you live inside a city that outlaws it.

Where are you? Have you ever heard of FPAG?

LLoyd

I can't imagine you would get harassed if you shoot on or within a few days of a major holiday if you are respectful and don't shoot too late. Around here there are constant fireworks in every direction once it gets close to dark. And some of them sound like 1.3 instead of consumer stuff. I imagine the police are so inundated with calls that they only pay attention to ones that also have reports of fighting or injury etc.

There are quite a few permanent stores and tons of tents that all sell aerial fireworks in Florida. If you stick to the big holidays it should be a non issue. I've never heard of anyone getting in actual trouble and only once or twice where the police showed up and told them it was getting late and to wrap up the noisy stuff. Even the papers report of the widespread use and how it is essentially allowed and legal.

Kudos to trying to do the right thing but I think you will be fine with commercial product in a safe spot.

You are going to use them scare away birds......Right.

In the Sunshine State, one does not buy a bottle rocket for recreation; one buys it to scare birds away from farms and fisheries.

That’s right: Explosives for pest control.

Technically speaking, consumer fireworks are illegal in Florida. But nearly 60 years ago, state lawmakers passed an exception — now the only one of its kind in the United States — for fireworks purchases by farms and fish hatcheries.

That’s how vendors, including those in the ubiquitous tents that spring up along Florida roadsides, have gotten around the general fireworks prohibition for years.

They simply ask customers to sign forms saying they’re buying under an agricultural or other exemption. There’s also one for illuminating a stretch of railroad.

The Division of State Fire Marshal prepares a guide for fireworks inspections, and enforcement is left to spot-checking by local police and fire agencies.

The state’s courts, however, have said that sellers aren’t required to make sure a fireworks customer really needs to light up a railway or chase off geese.

Even the head of the country’s leading fireworks trade group is bemused by Florida’s approach.

“There are superstores selling fireworks just to get rid of pests?” said Julie L. Heckman, executive director of the American Pyrotechnics Association. She said no other state has an agriculture exception.

“With the expansion of consumer fireworks sales in Florida, there should not be a critter left alive there,” Heckman said.

A handful of counties, including Pinellas, have local ordinances more restrictive than state law, such as explicitly banning the sale of projectile fireworks.

Meanwhile, the Legislature hasn’t been moved to change the statewide status quo.

In fact, the only legislation introduced this year essentially would have legalized consumer fireworks. Both House and Senate bills died in committee.

That’s because the industry is “very happy with where things are at,” said state Sen. Jeff Brandes, R-St. Petersburg, who sponsored one of this year’s bills.

http://www.tbo.com/news/politics/patriotism-as-pest-control-floridas-weird-fireworks-law-20140629/

791.07 Agricultural and fish hatchery use.Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the importation, purchase, sale, or use of fireworks used or to be used solely and exclusively in frightening birds from agricultural works and fish hatcheries; and such use shall be governed entirely by the rules prescribed by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0791/0791.html

To be fair, with the mosquitoes in FL, they might need some salutes too...

Getting the formal licence or permit, possibly from the ATF would be the preferred way of making progress.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to get licensed just to buy consumer fireworks, sold legally in Florida, to shoot on the 4th of July then you are doing the most responsible thing and maybe by next year you will have a permit.

Meanwhile, millions of other Floridians will be lighting the same fireworks and enjoying their countries independence day. We aren't like the UK quite yet.

what's illegal: bottle rockets, Roman candles, artillery shells include ball or canister shells, firecrackers, and multi shot cakes, ect

What's legal: sparklers, fountains, poppers, smoke balls, novelty fireworks, tanks, ground bloom flowers, worms, anything that doesn't explode or leave the ground is ok

But you forgot to list one other category -- what's sold: Everything on both lists. And except in municipalities, LEOs just don't seem to bother even investigating their use around "shooting holidays".

Lloyd