APC Forum

Using a dryer motor for a ball mill

froggyb99

O.K. I don't know much about rolling stars, but are the vanes in a cement mixer a problem?

ha , they are coming out , in fact they are out right now. i just got it this morning

Mad,

"Problem"? For rolling stars, yes? To get out of there? No, not usually.

They need to come out, and their bolt holes should be smoothly filled such that they don't bounce and damage stars any more than necessary.

Some folks have puttied the holes shut, while others have used flattened carriage bolts to present the barest minimum of 'head' showing inside the drum.

Lloyd

i have a mig welder, just going to weld them and sand them, little body puddy and its good to go

Edited by memo

Yep... MIG or TIG would be just the trick... but with some careful jigging, you could probably even braze them shut with an O/A rig.

Lloyd

Mine are just welded up and ground off. Way more better. :)

Here is a machine using a through the wall drive shaft.

I'm well aware that hazardous area motors are rare on the consumer market and expensive, that's why I mentioned that TEFC is better than an open frame motor. I've also seen, in a UK factory, the use of hydraulics through the wall to keep sparks away from machines.

As amateurs keeping the price down and the safety up is the usual problem.

Arthur,

Most of my machines get their motive force from pneumatics or hydraulics. The only electricals are associated with the controlling devices and valves, which are suitably housed in Class I/II pressurized enclosures.

LLoyd