APC Forum

Charcoal stars

MadMat

I put this post in Newbie questions because I simply have never made any TT or other type charcoal starts. I am going to experiment with a double petal effect for the first time and am thinking about using TT for the inside. My idea is to try putting smaller TT stars around the core of the shell and then putting a layer or two of larger color stars around that. I have two questions; 1. Am I on the right track with my construction ideas? 2. I have read and understand the effects of different charcoals on stars but was hoping to get some opinions on the subject. I have willow, red cedar and even aquarium charcoal available. I could also easily make white or yellow pine, or hardwood (oak or maple) charcoal. Any opinions?

You should use TT or willow stars outside and colour stars inside that will look pretty.

Add 5 to 10 percent atomized aluminum in TT or willow effect it looks better.

For double petal shell construction use Shimizu FAST book for reference.

You may have issues with the outer color petal washing out the tiger tail inner petal. In my experience, any charcoal works in a pinch for tiger tail stars. However, some varieties of hardwood and pine are generally regarded as giving a better effect. I would hate to waste viable lift powder charcoal in stars, as it is the more valuable commodity for me.

Well I made a small batch of TT (100 grams). I used red cedar charcoal... I guess an experimental shell is in order now.

I tried rolling TT stars today, using SGRS as a binder. What a nightmare! I started from mustard seed, and couldn't get it to roll for diddly. Finally, after ending up with about 50g of comp on the walls of the drum and the seeds clumped together, I gave up and threw it away. Rolled the remaining comp over some 3/16" Hardt Sulfur Blue cores. We'll see how they look in a few days when they've dried a bit.

I haven't rolled any stars (yet). I am planning on cutting these. Hopefully, if everything works out right I may have a used Bridgeport type mill soon. When I get that, one of the first things I'm going to make is a star plate and some pumps.

Edited by MadMat