APC Forum

Updates on Passfire, the Movie

lloyd

Jesse Veverka just announced that the final audio mix for "Passfire, The Movie" is done. Work is progressing rapidly toward a summer release.

LLoyd

Edited by lloyd
  • Like 1

its been a while, be nice to see it completed

This film has been "announced" too often. If they don't back up the announcement with the film (disc/download whatever) we'll all be fed up of the hype and onto the next topic.

Probably some of the larger firework sellers could arrange to have a film and promo night.

• Like 1

Arthur,

I was dressed-down pretty severely the other night (by a good friend) for having and expressing the same sentiments. I took offense only until I realized that I NEVER knew the producers' own intended time-line for the film. We've held them to two-and-one-half years, but the producers estimated 3-5 years. They estimated that originally and PUBLICLY. And if you consider the difficulties of making it to all the various international fireworks events, which in a given hemisphere, ALL happen at the same time, then maybe you'll understand the time constraints.

There have been no "announcements" of the release of this film. There have been "wish-turbations" of folks who donated, and wanted their copy NOW! There have been speculations. There have been complaints. All have been uninformed reactions.

Jesse just released an announcement. Instead of INSISTING (in this private venue) that he's probably a liar, maybe you could ASK HIM about it! He's been pretty responsive to direct questioning.

Lloyd

From Jesse Verka: "I want to assure everyone that we are fully committed to seeing the Passfire project through to completion and a successful release. This week our team completed the preliminary sound mix for the film and we are meeting with the composer tomorrow, with color correction planned for this weekend. Meanwhile we have also nearly completed the Making of Passfire film. This hour-long piece tells the story of making the movie, including how the idea got started, the multi-year process and some of the pitfalls and bloopers. I believe it will be of great interested to anyone who has followed this project.

We understand that people are anxious to see the film and often wonder why the production has taken as much time as it has. With the breadth of the film (23 countries on six continents), complexity of the subject (cultural celebrations, religious traditions, foreign language content, etc.), the amount of footage (over 500 hours) and our desire to make a meaningful and lasting movie it does take time. I will point out that many other professionally produced documentaries take 3-5 years to complete, some of them even longer. Please understand that documentaries are not the same as news specials, reality TV or YouTube videos. They are also very different than blockbuster films that are scripted and run on huge budgets with big crews.

I would also like to address some of the confusion about the release process. It has been our intention from the beginning to make sure that our Kickstarter backers, sponsors and donors get the copies of the film they were promised. In the case of DVDs, this adds an additional layer of time for designing and pressing the DVDs. On the other hand digital downloads, while fast, open up ruinous potential for piracy. Early piracy of a film is bad for many reasons, but one of the biggest that I think should concern the pyro community is that film festivals and TV will be less interested in a film that has been leaked all across the internet. Believe me, it does happen. Our last feature documentary was leaked on YouTube and got over a million views that we never saw a penny for. It took us two years to pay off the debt from that film. We as a community want Passfire to play in festivals and generate as much positive exposure for pyro as possible. Piracy early on could harm that potential, so we have to plan carefully and release is stages. It is our plan to have DVDs by August.

I am aware that there have been historical examples of the pyro community being mislead or taken advantage of. I think a healthy dose of skepticism is good as long as it remains civil and respectful. I am always happy to answer inquiries and I am just a phone call away: 607-216-4304.

Thank you,

Jesse"

I have no irons in the fire besides curiosity, but do you think they'd be interested or open to a screening or preview at PGI?

From what I hear, I think they might! I don't know. But I DO know that they're way beyond the "tentative" stage.

Lloyd

I got the opportunity to talk briefly with Jesse earlier this year and I have to say, he's a funny and sincere fellow. I understand the frustration people have but I personally don't mind waiting because I know they actually are putting in the work and want to make the best film they can. I was under the impression the release date had been delayed but I guess that was just hearsay.

I thought they did do a short screening at last year's PGI? Or was that a Q&A session or something?

They did a full screening of their preliminary cut. They asked for feedback and got it; very gracious and sincere guys. They will follow through without doubt. I for one look forward to August.

NOT insinuating that anyone is telling untruths, but that with the drip feed of information that's been around for a while now I'd expect the product to be imminent and the Odeon Leicester Square and a Broadway cinema booked for the premiere.

Looking at a Bond film, you get the "warm up" media releases, then the film premiere news releases, then you can buy tickets to see the film.

I wonder if you've ever spent any time on film sets? If you've ever worked a Bond Budget set, then contrasted it with the set of a film like "Passfire, the Movie", you'd probably first notice the visible differences that several tens of millions of dollars can make in staffing, equipment, and division of labor.

When a film is done for a couple of hundred-thousand instead of a few tens of million, it just might take a little longer -- partly because the producer/director/camera man just MIGHT have other titles, as well!

I've been (only a couple of times) in both environments -- both the "Bond budget" and smaller private film maker budgets. I respect that if Jesse says the film is "on schedule" (and he does say that), then it is.

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

I've been (only a couple of times) in both environments -- both the "Bond budget" and smaller private film maker budgets.

Lloyd

Lloyd, if you don't mind my asking, what were your experiences with "bond budget" films? Were you doing consulting, special effects, just hanging around, or......? Was it an enjoyable experience?

We were asked to shoot ONE fireworks effect for a "product placement" segment for a soda beverage product in a Disney studios film (unnamed to us) -- up to ten takes, IIRC. It wasn't any 'special effect'... they just needed a licensed pyro to discharge the effect (a 6" shell). Since they were 'off park' for the segments, they used us... we'd been a vendor to them for a couple of decades prior. I never saw any film of the takes, but heard that it didn't even get into the film, but later DID get into a separate TV commercial.

It took about five minutes to set up for each shot, then about an hour's waiting... But there were what seemed to be hundreds of staff on the site. It was a big, big affair, consuming just GOBS of money, fuel, food, etc.

And THAT "hurry up and wait" aspect of work did not change on low-budget films and commercials either.

It was interesting for me, being the first time ever on a set. Not actually "enjoyable", but certainly fascinating. I actually enjoyed doing the SFX for "Things That Hang From Trees". The work conditions were no different, but the importance of the effects to the whole project was such that I got to enjoy a good deal of interaction with the crew and the director.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Interesting, thanks for the response.

For those interested here is the trailer for Things That Hang From Trees: https://youtu.be/VHdNAqm6LP4

Oh, and Lloyd, you got your own IMDB reference for the cast of that movie ^_^

Edited by AzoMittle

Heh! Yeah, it's fun (if the setup is right) to tell people that, and then see or hear their confusion! <G>

Lloyd

Speaking as someone who has worked in theatres, I can say there is a huge difference between low-budget films that were rushed to be relevant to the every-changing pop-culture and films that were made over longer time by people who cared about the content and presentation more than capitalizing on a fad. In either case, recovering costs, including pay for time spent working on it, are a major factor in release dates and schedules.

Yeah...

I understand that Things finally did (just) pay for itself, but never got the attention they hoped for.

But... eh... The movie was done well, but it wasn't that great of a story. The movie script was longer than the book! It was just a TINY little chapbook novella... IIRC, about ninety pages! (author, T.A. Louis aka Louis Tordini)

Lloyd

good interview it would be better if dave wouldn't talk so much. I think he likes the sound of his own voice.

memo

Edited by memo
  • Like 1

good interview it would be better if dave wouldn't talk so much. I think he likes the sound of his own voice.

memo

Like it or not, his channel is one of the first that comes up when people new to the hobby start searching online(including my first searches). Given that, I would rather have more videos like this, where the primary content is not something he is doing/saying/selling, but rather someone or something else. Less chance of bad/harmful information being conveyed.

my opinion, dave talks too much, I thought the interview subject matter was great, I don't see what you are defending