APC Forum

HAND ROLLING STRONG TUBES.

Mixer

By The Mixer.
This is a well tried and tested technique I developed for myself over a period of a few years of tube rolling. The main intention being ease of adhesive workability, low cost, with the minimum of equipment needed.
I have tried different methods using Dextrin/Elmers/Wheat paste/Silicate/Casein etc but for various reasons I`ve settled for this method/adhesive as it fulfils all requirements.
Hopefully some of this info may be of some use for newcomers to tube rolling.
PREPARING THE LENGTHS.
I use good quality 35# strong, ribbed, virgin Kraft. The tensile strength measured with a pull scale in both parallel and perpendicular directions to the grain per 1 cm width is approximately 14 lbs for each (provided everything is done correctly this governs the final strength of the tubes). The roll is 24" wide so it takes several strips to roll a tube. The glue is neat, undiluted, READY MIXED WALLPAPER PASTE.
Cut the required lengths and coat them all both sides with a thin coat of paste and set them aside for a few minutes to dry and expand close to their limit, then re-coat one side of a length and line up another length over that (inset a 1/4") and then working from the centre outwards press them firmly together using a spatula or flexible metal dough scraper expelling any surplus paste and ensuring there are no air bubbles left trapped. So now all my lengths are two layers thick. They are then put aside to thoroughly dry.
ROLLING THE TUBES.
The tube former is my first rammer with one layer of Kraft wrapped around and glued down to itself at one edge (making a slip on tube) this also gives a slightly larger diameter to allow for any tube shrinkage on drying. Before rolling I rub oil or wax over the slip on tube so that the finished tube comes off easier, sometimes it pulls off with the finished tube so I poke a stiff wire down between it and the inside of the tube to remove it then I feed it back on the rammer ready for rolling the next tube.
A perfectly flat 15 - 25 degree inclined rolling board is very useful here rather than the flat work surface, but not essential.
Before gluing the first strip I dry roll it once around the rammer and mark it with a pencil, then I fold that part back underneath at the pencil line so that when the strip is laid down for pasting this portion is underneath and does not get pasted.
Thinly paste one of the strips, fold both ends over into the centre and flatten to prevent the paste from drying out too quickly, then turn the previously folded and marked end over and paste a 1/4" or so across that end - this ensures you have paste to paste at the start of rolling - without this the first end could later `pick up` in the tube when charging.
Carefully line up and roll the strip keeping tension on the paper by gripping the folded over far end with one hand while rolling with the other, re-positioning. and folding down the far end to re-grip as you go. Lightly roll the tube after each length with a flat implement then repeat the process for the other lengths.
To ensure more rapid drying I now half roll each tube, remove and let dry before applying the final layers.
If you do all of this correctly you should end up with very strong tubes.
For drying, the tubes are best stood upright on screen mesh or similar for good air circulation - or they can be threaded through with string and hung up to dry.
Testing tube strengths.
The 3/4" x 1/8" wall tubes all failed at 7,487psi.
3/4" x 3/16" wall tubes all failed at 8,755psi.
3/4" ID x 1/4" wall tubes all failed at 9800 psi.
A single 1/2" ID x 1/8" wall tube failed at 8,423psi.
Some mistakes to avoid.
Thinning the paste with water.
Rolling the whole tube in one go could result in a spongy tube.
Using too thick a paste can also result in a spongy tube.
Paste too thin may cause dry patches which can weaken the tube and can even cause`blowpast` in use.
Rolling over the finished tube too hard with a flat implement can alter the case thickness in places.
If your tubes are wrinkled or deformed in any way you have done something wrong :unsure:
....................................................................................................................................................................
Overall I think for home rolling the Ready Mixed adhesive is by far the best, it`s very workable, bonds extremely well and it`s pleasant to use.
Incidentally it`s also an excellent binder for glitters!
Click on first pic then hover mouse top right of pic box - click on next (it`s quicker)....
If you have any questions just holler!
Update: ...The only change I have made to the above is I now leave the rolled tubes on their formers and oven dry them with moderate heat.