APC Forum

juicebox1155

Answered my own question. not sure how to delete the post.

Edited by juicebox1155

Please post the problem and solution for the benefit of others.

Thanks

Usually cleaning a mill and media is best done by milling kitty litter, you get some rocket nozzle clay, and you get rid of most contaminants from the mill.

If you use sulphur then you use totally different and separate equipment for milling chlorate.

I've milled Al in a container that I wanted to reuse for something else. The inside of the jar looks metallic! Milling clay does not get it off. What I did was filled it partway with water and added a little HCl. Once the Al was gone, It was rinsed and neutralized with NaHCO3, then rinsed again.

I have used the same technique with cleaning rust out from a jar of steel media. Now I just mill some KClO4 and..... alakazam! ...catalyzed KClO4 ready for whistles ;)

I've milled Al in a container that I wanted to reuse for something else. The inside of the jar looks metallic! Milling clay does not get it off. What I did was filled it partway with water and added a little HCl. Once the Al was gone, It was rinsed and neutralized with NaHCO3, then rinsed again.

I have used the same technique with cleaning rust out from a jar of steel media. Now I just mill some KClO4 and..... alakazam! ...catalyzed KClO4 ready for whistles ;)

What do you mean by "catalyzed KClO4"?

Using HCl acid is an interesting approach I haven't heard of before. What safety precautions/incompatibilities are there? How much HCl : H2O did you use?

What do you mean by "catalyzed KClO4"?

------------

Are you not aware of the generally catalytic effects of red iron oxide?

Lloyd

I'm referring to the typical red Fe2O3 rust in the sense that it is added to whistle as a catalyst... not getting into the whole true catalyst or not debate of course. There is a whole thread for that. If I am going to be milling KClO4 for whistle, and I were to see rust on steel media, I occasionally use the opportunity for the free "catalyst" cocktail. It's a very small percentage of the typical amount and I have never done any tests to see if there is a noticeable effect because I doubt there is. None of the oxides that would form worry me in any safety sense, so I leave them be.

As for using HCl, the dangers are getting it in the eyes, and nearby chlorate comps ;) It's not too much of a concern on the skin in diluted form if you rinse off any splashes. The amount of acid to water isn't too important since any residues to be dissolved are small, but remember to always add the acid to the water to avoid localized heating which could lead to it boiling out and onto you.

Thats how I have cleaned mine in the past. It can work really well if your careful.