APC Forum

Building a TLUD

Rocketman14

I'm looking to make a 1 gallon paint can sized tlud for making charcoal. I'm not totally set on using a paint can, it just happenS to be what I have on hand. I'm open to suggestions though and if anyone has pictures of what they use or even plans for building one that would be great. Thanks all!

Rocketman,

I posted a tutorial on building mine not long ago. Its a 5 gallon instead of a one gallon, but the concepts similar.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/11608-5-gallon-tlud-charcoal-cooker/?fromsearch=1

If you want some pics PM me, i couldn't get them to load properly on the tut.

Hope it helps

Nice, so can you tell me, is the charcoal itself produced inside the main chamber? If so what other fuel do you have in it? I guess I envisioned an enclosed pot/can sitting on top of the (flue?) With the chips in there taking the heat.

Nice, so can you tell me, is the charcoal itself produced inside the main chamber? If so what other fuel do you have in it? I guess I envisioned an enclosed pot/can sitting on top of the (flue?) With the chips in there taking the heat.

Yes The charcoal is produced in the can.

The only fuel needed is the wood chips that your making your charcoal from (eastern red cedar in my case). The size and amount of air holes in the bottom of the can limit the amount of available oxygen, burning off the volatiles in the wood chips, but leaving the carbon unconsumed. The chips will burn from the top down, when the combustion line reaches the bottom of the can, you need to seal off all oxygen, or else the remaining charcoal will be consumed as well. A strip of masking tape down the side of the can makes it very easy to see where the combustion line is.

The chimney is there to help create a draft, pulling air up through the wood chips. It also acts as a seconday combustion chamber burning up any remaining volotiles, leaving a very clean, almost smoke free exhaust.

I simply pour in Southern Yellow Pine pellets or a bag of Eastern Red Cedar pet bedding chips in the can, use a blow torch to start a small fire on top and put the lid on and watch the fire. +1 on the masking tape, a cheap way to measure the progress.

I have to give that +1 back to you dag. I read that on one of your posts, it works so good i had to pass it on

I love my 1gal paint can TLUD. I have three cans, so I can fill each with ceder pet bedding, cook one after the other and leave the charcoal in the can with the cover on to cool. No messing with trying to transfer hot coal from a hot can to separate cooling container.

One thing I found, if you are getting inconsistantly cooked wood, like half is left as wood, the other half is turning to ash already, you probably didnt have enough holes in the bottom, or they were not spaced out enough. I ended up adding 4 more holes to my can after the first batch.A

Also, be careful of any wind. This device is very lightweight and prone to being knocked over by any small amount of wind. have a bucket of water near by and dont hesitate to use it. A bad batch is better than starting a(n uncontrolled) fire.

To light mine, I just light a half sheet of newspaper and drop it down the stack. This lets me get the stack on properly and not have to race against the fire.

Sorry I do not have any pictures with me at the moment.

I used a stainless stockpot for my latest TLUD. I fitted a brass threaded elbow into the bottom (centrally), attached to a lever valve by a short length of tube. This saves drilling a fixed pattern of holes in the bottom of the stockpot and makes it easy to control or shut off the air flow. The hole plate is a seperate circular plate that just drops in. Its fitted with standoffs to create an air gap between the hole plate and the bottom of the stockpot so the air is distributed evenly. If i need a different hole pattern i can make up another hole plate without altering the stockpot.

• Like 1