APC Forum

Lift powder

Gecko123

The primary reason for sulphurless BP is the lack of sulphur oxides in the smoke. SO2 and SO3 produce metal eating acids so reducing the life of gun barrels (of all sizes).

The value of sulphurless powder in pyro is that they avoid the occasional issue with chlorate comps, but chlorate comps are now rarely used.

The TROUBLE with sulphurless powder is that it develops different combustion pressures and is slightly harder to light.

If sulphurless powder is all you can have then test it thoroughly in your use before risking it in front of an audience. A shell that doesn't fit the mortar well may not lift as well as it would with 75/15/10.

I did buy some sugar, in hope that it might decrease ignition temperature, but I have heard mixed things about using that in bp. The only locally available sulfur I have is that fast acting stuff and thats only 40% sulfur supposedly, do you think something like that would work? Edited by loopdee

Sadly some things just have to be done right... or in the traditional way, until you prove (one hundred times) that your new way is better. Buy some sulphur buy 10 or more pounds have stock, it's not hard to find and can usually be sent by economy carrier or courier.

Too many people try to do hobby pyro without the resources to do it right and safely.

There are probably 100 things that you can make with simply BP ingredients, lift, burst, rockets, fountains, charcoal stars. Then add another type of charcoal and some sparks metal. AFTER all that there are lots of star formulae that require ingredients that may be harder to find, but worth while when you do find them.