Hey everyone, this is my first real post here. Been lurking in the shadows for a while and finally decided to make a profile as I get deeper into this lovely
sport hobby. I think there's a lot of great info here and I've already learned so much, but it's clear I still have a lifetime of learning ahead. Looking forward to being able to contribute more as I learn more. That being said, here's my first attempt at contributing.
I was fooling around with Lancaster Gold Star "B" (willow) and loved the results and wanted to modify it.
Originally the formula is:
KNO3 - 53.50
Charcoal - 31.00 (150 mesh)
SGRS - 9.00 (I use dextrin)
Sulfur - 6.50
So I wanted to add some white to it and use up some of the comp I have sitting around.
KNO3 - 50
Charcoal - 20 (150 mesh)
Dark Aluminum - 15
Dextrin - 8
Sb2S3 - 7 (-325 mesh)
I reduced the potassium a touch because I know the Aluminum will burn hotter and faster. Antimony was substituted for sulfur because I thought it might add more to the 'white' effect than sulfur while still maintaining sulfur's lower ignition benefits.
Ball mill the Nitrate, Charcoal, and Dextrin for 30 minutes to 1 hour, then add Aluminum and Antimony. Nitrate was already blade milled prior to milling. Bind with 50/50 ethanol/water, Cut stars.
The effect I got was a "white gold" color with lots of fine white sparks and a golden aura. They lit fairly easy and had a medium burn time. I have a short video of a line of them burning on the ground, but not many of the sparks were captured, just the white gold color. They're like a cross between a willow and a sparkler IMO.
And just for the sake of safety: I realize this comp contains aluminum and nitrate and is being wet with water. The aluminum I used was stearin coated and also the stars were in a safe place out of direct sunlight until they were dry. I did not experience any heating or ammonia smell whatsoever. I'm getting boric acid tomorrow actually, and will likely include 1 or 2 percent.
I'm sure adjusting the size of the aluminum and antimony will change up the effect a bit, but this seems like a great simple formula to play with for now.
Hopefully this isn't a repeat of another formula, and I'm sure there's plenty of ways to achieve a similar effect, but figured it couldn't hurt to share! Thanks!
Edited by PhoenixRising, 27 April 2016 - 02:14 PM.