APC Forum

My thumb was blown off half a section.

benrenyi4

Didn't Burrito Bandito have an accident right after yours Dave?

Dave, I can agree with everything you said except that "Raga" part. NO way did a cell phone correct "Dagabu" to "Raga". Perhaps he actually knows Dagabu, and that's a nickname. But that's a pretty odd one for a fellow with a name like Gustafson!

As far as his referring to a different accident than the one that starts this thread... yeah... that's possible. It's not CLEAR that's what he wanted, but entirely possible.

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

How is it odd? The "D" and the "R" are right next to each other... and the "aga" was the giveaway for me.

I guess you just need to speak fluent bad online typing... :D

• Like 1

I guess... 'looks to me like someone could at least take a peek at what they've typed before sending it!

<shrug>

Lloyd

• Like 1

I've gotten so used to using Swype and my (finally) pyro friendly predictive text on my tablet that once it broke down and I had to go back to the pc I have to read and reread before posting. Installed a new charging port on the Note so I can put this laptop away again. (Had to make 9 corrections here).

that's me , bad online typing,, even after I proof read..........

I guess... 'looks to me like someone could at least take a peek at what they've typed before sending it!

<shrug>

Lloyd

Unless they're driving......... :wacko:

• Like 1

If the guy blew half his hand off AND is texting while driving I'd say he's a frontrunner for a Darwin Award!

• Like 1

Applying a bit of common sense led me to think that when Windowlicka addresses Raga I, he is addressing Dagabu. His phone has corrected him. My clue was that he specifically referred to Dagabu's post while asking for further information. Also: Raga I is more similar to Daqabu than it is to Benrenyi, so of the 2 choices, Dagabu was obvious to me.

My conclusion: Windowlicka is guilty of not spell-checking his auto-correct- but not guilty of failing to read the first post. While the punishments may be the same, the errors differ. So, he is guilty of a lesser offense and deserving of mercy.

What does this all mean? IMHO, he wants to know about Dagabu's accident, not the OP's! Can we let him off and let Dagabu answer- if he comes back to the thread?

Very clever I had no idea my iPad was changing dagabu to raga. That's irritating. I read (or seen the pictures) of the first post.(really!)

I was totally asking about dagabu's injury link to original posting. You one sharp pyro DavidF.

<shrug>

Lloyd

I suppose I should especially since you think I should Lloyd. I blame apple for not making it easy to turn that shit off. Again, I'm sure I should probably look into fixing that.

This the first time I have ever read anything about perc and sulfur being unsafe to the point of spontaneous ignition? I know chlorate and sulfur is a no no, but I have been using perc and sulfur together a lot in various comps. Nothing. There is a chance but a rare chance with perc. Also it should be noted again to whomever is reading this with questions of such comps and that is never grind or process these chems together. Mix them after. Maybe I have been lucky. I know I made a mistake early on when Mumbles was helping me with creating a blue with the chems I had....which had perc and sulfur in the comp, and I ball milled the comp without the aluminum. I was made aware that was not a wise move, even if there is less sensitivity than chlorate. Though not as much so but still enough to put a no no sticker on that action.

To the OP, if thats your hand, whatever happened, don't repeat! I know, duh, but had to say it. I have never to this point had anything happen to me from pyro since a "thunder bomb" brand firecracker blew while holding it almost 30 years ago. It numbed the tips of the index and thumb for 6-7 months. Loosing a finger is bad, but we have 4 so loosing one isn't nearly as bad as loosing the thumb. That hand will most likely never be "normal" ever. The nerve damage alone is a constant and pervasive reminder. And if bad enough will cause disfigurement over time. Some so bad the affected area has to be removed completely.

Potassium perchlorate and sulfur do NOT exhibit spontaneous combustion characteristics. They make a significantly impact sensitive mixture, but not spontaneously-igniting.

The whole thing was a cobbled-up tale!

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

You might actually be surprised at how sensitive perc/sulfur mixtures are. They're not all that much different than chlorate/sulfur. I think this both speaks to the somewhat exaggerated danger of chlorate/sulfur dating from when sulfur was acidic and impure, as well as the understated or ignored sensitivity of perc/sulfur.

Neither are prone to spontaneous ignition, assuming pure chemicals. Don't be surprised if you have a shell make a round trip, and it explodes on impact though.

You might actually be surprised at how sensitive perc/sulfur mixtures are. They're not all that much different than chlorate/sulfur. I think this both speaks to the somewhat exaggerated danger of chlorate/sulfur dating from when sulfur was acidic and impure, as well as the understated or ignored sensitivity of perc/sulfur.

Neither are prone to spontaneous ignition, assuming pure chemicals. Don't be surprised if you have a shell make a round trip, and it explodes on impact though.

I completely agree with Mumbles. That said, let me state my beliefs on the subject;

Chlorate and perchlorate are linked.

When perchlorate decomposes, it's been theorized that three perchlorates first break down to four chlorates, and then further during the reaction. If this is true, it probably happens in the course of a time segment, during the period of a reaction of the pyrotechnic composition discussed.

As for the "round trip shell", I've witnessed that first hand many years ago, during some shell testing a friend of mine and I did back in the days of "Boys will be boys" (as opposed to the apparent current thinking, "they must be up to no good, better lock 'em up"). I miss those days :rolleyes:.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

Just to be clear, we all agree that there is no possibility that this person was grinding potassium perchlorate and sulfur with a mortar and pestle, and we know that the mixture did not explode, and it did not damage his hand with chunks of the mortar that the stuff wasn't in when it didn't explode?

We know so much about what didn't happen and so little about what did happen- if in fact anything at all even happened :) Benrenyi, I would be happy to know your story in your own words if you would like to PM me about it. I would just like to learn more. I promise to keep the details private if that is your wish.

EDIT: I have gone over the entire thread linked to above, about Dag's accident. There is nothing about the cause. However, I did read (somewhere on here!) a line I thought was very important. I can't find it now. IIRC, Dagabu said he disconnected a ground from his milling unit. Now THAT kind of stuff is good to talk about, isn't it?

Edited by DavidF
  • Like 1

Yupper, it is. Unplugged the extension cord from the outlet then emptied the ball mill by hand. While doing so, I turned the drum to move the media off to one side. This caused the motor to turn and since I removed the ground by unplugging the ballill, the energy made a spark and I guess went to frame, ignited the BP dust.

Bottom line, make a switch box that eliminates the hot wire only, leaving the neutral and ground wire in place.